StoreEver Tape Storage
1753500 Members
3231 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DLT40 always write protected

John Zajac

DLT40 always write protected

I had this problem before and it magically went away. Now it's back. I'm using different DLT IV tapes, some brand new.
The write protected LED is always on. After running a test from the HP Library and Test Tools (which required a cleaning cartridge), the LED will go off, but when I put a normal tape back in, the LED goes on again. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

I'd like to try updating the firmware (currently using V150/OEM1), but I need to load the old firmware first, then reload the new firmware. So, can anyone send me an old firmware file (with a password for the HP Library and Tape Tools) so I can try this?

Thanks,
John
4 REPLIES 4
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Re: DLT40 always write protected

I'm not aware of any issue requiring the firmware to be downreved and then upgraded back to V150. FYI, V150 is the latest firmware for the HP standalone (OEM1 personality) DLT4000 drive.

V130/OEM1 is available using LTT 'get files from web' under the File menu. However, as you mentioned you would need a downgrading password to use it from V150.

Note, LTT will allow you to "reflash" the current version without a password. That said, I'm not aware of any specific problems requiring the firmware to be reflashed. Perhaps you could let us know where you heard this or what you heard.

If you are loading write-enabled tapes, but they are intermittently reported as write-protected, it could be the sensor on the right side of the drive that 'feels' for the write protect switch position. Perhaps the little arm is busted, or the hall effect sensor is gone bad.
The journey IS the reward.
John Zajac

David, thanks for the response. Firmware upgrades have fixed several problems before with DAT24x6 drives (I have 10). I wanted to try everything I could first, because I hate sending these back to HP for repair. If there is just a sensor problem with this unit, I've got to pay at least 1/3 the price of a new unit because of HP's core trade-in. They won't just repair what's broken. That stinks.

As far as the firmware goes, I do not believe that reflashing with the same version of firmware actually does anything. L&TT seems to go through the motions, but the lights do not flicker on the tape drive as they did when upgrading to a new firmware version. That's why I want to downgrade the firmware, then upgrade back to the current version. Last time, when I upgraded to a new firmware version, the write-protect LED turned off. Maybe it was coincidental. I don't know, but it's an easy thing to try. Do you know where I can get the downgrade password?

Thanks again,
John
CA713937
Honored Contributor

> As far as the firmware goes, I do not believe that reflashing with the same version of firmware actually does anything.

You are correct in that the DLT drives appear to know when they are being sent the same firmware, and they do an abbreviated update process.

Send an email message to ltt_team@hp.com, and I'll give you a password to try the downgrade. Again, I don't think it will help in this case, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Did you look at the write protect sensor, and is the finger intact? There should a fatter cartridge lock lever on the right side, with a thinner write project sensor lever above. With no tape loaded, the write project sensor lever should be sticking slightly farther out than the lock lever.
The journey IS the reward.
John Zajac

David, thanks. You are correct. I tracked down another DLT40 drive and compared the two. The write-protect tab had sheared off. I'm going to have to send this back to HP for repair. Thanks a bunch.
John