StoreEver Tape Storage
1748092 Members
6056 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Protector Express SSE - log in problem

Fianne01

Data Protector Express SSE - log in problem

I've encountered a problem with the Data Protector in that while running a back up I got an alert stating that the cleaning tape needed to be ran. Ran the tape and the back up continued perfectly.
Later that day I tried to log back on to be give an error code of 1019 stating that the host(machine) name is not recognised as the storage management domain name and to contact my administrator for the correct name. I am the administrator and the name I have is correct and have been using it for 18months. Any ideas would be appreciated. Also would like to know if I removed and installed the program again would I lose the backups done for the past 18mths i.e. if I needed to recover a file from 6mths ago would if recognised the tape if it was re-installed.
Any help would be appreciated
4 REPLIES 4
Russell C. Smith
Valued Contributor

Hi Fianne01,

The following is an extract from the DPX Help file Troubleshooting section. It's actually for repairing the catalog, which I realize is not your problem, but it provides insight into the DPX configuration file which you may be able to look at and determine if something's amiss:

1. Close Data Protector Express.

2. Stop the Data Protector Express service:
a. Open a Command Prompt window.
b. Change to the Data Protector Express directory: Program Files\HP\Data Protector Express
c. Type the following command at the Command Prompt: dpwinsvc ├в x
This command stops the Data Protector Express service on the local machine.

!!!WARNING: BEFORE DOING THE NEXT STEP MAKE A COPY OF YOUR DPCONFIG.INI FILE!!!

3. Edit the dpconfig.ini file in the Data Protector Express directory (HP\Data Protector Express\config by default) on the master server.

4. In the [configuration] section, add the following line:
repairDatabase=Yes

The configuration section should now look like this:

[configuration]
lastUser=admin
lastDomain=Data Protector Express Management Domain
nodeGuid={00001001-421F132A-0003F771-FFE580D7}
databaseServerAddress=localhost
isDatabaseServer=Yes
databaseServerName=Data Protector Express Management Domain
disableNetwork=No
remoteAdmin=No
repairDatabase=Yes

5. Save and close this file.

6. Open Data Protector Express. Do not restart the service.
The catalog repair will run automatically. After the repair have completed, the Logon screen will appear.

7. Restart the Data Protector Express service:
a. Open a Command Prompt window.
b. Change to the Data Protector Express directory: Program Files\HP\Data Protector Express
c. Type the following command at the Command Prompt: dpwinsvc ├в s

NOTE: You don't really need to added the repairDatabase=Yes line because it's not your database that's the problem. What you should do is make sure that databaseServerAddress, isDatabaseServer and databaseServerName are what you expect them to be. If databaseServerAddress is not "localhost", literally check that the value matches the actual system name set in your operating system's system configuration.

If the above does not work and you choose to re-install DPX you can recover your backups by "import"-ing all your media, which rebuilds your DPX database and allows you to access your media and recover the data backed up on them.

Russell
Fianne01

Thanks Russell for your reply. Unfortunately, I did try what you suggested but it still didn't work.

I didn't realise that you could import previous backups done. Can I ask how i can go about this

Many thanks
Russell C. Smith
Valued Contributor

It's simple...

1) Put your tape cartridge in your tape drive.
2) Open the DPX interface
3) Go to the "Devices" view and open the list of devices for your system by double clicking the appropriate selections in the right pane until the list appears.
4) Right-click your tape drive and select "Import Media"...this will start the DPX Import Media Wizard.
5) Step through the wizard to create the Import Media job and then click Finish. If you selected "Run Now" on the last screen then it starts automatically. You can use the default values if you wish or change them as you like. If you password protected your media you need to specify the password in the Import Options (3rd) wizard screen.

You should have now just created an Import Media job, which is stored under the "Jobs and Media" view. If you have more media you want to import all you now have to do is put in the next cartridge in the tape drive and re-run the same job. Of course if the cartridges have different passwords you will need to specify the correct passwords in the Import Media job by going into its properties and changing the existing value.

Thanks,
Russell
Fianne01

Thanks for all your help