108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Devices showing offline in Data Protector Express 3.5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rajanikant
Trusted Contributor

Data Protector Express has encountered an error while starting a service.

• This error can be caused by third party software interfering with the Data Protector Express Service, please ensure that all third party software is closed, and the respective services are stopped while troubleshooting this error.
  • Most commonly this error is caused by Data Protector Express being installed on a hard disk that has become full. If this is the SYSTEM partition, the Data Protector Express service will be unloaded, and you may see this error.

to recover from this error:

1. close the DPX application, kill the DPwinsdr.exe from Task manager

2. Stop the DPX service

3. free up some space on the logicval volume where the DPX is involved and then try to start the application again

Regards

Raj

How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!
Syedfurquan
Trusted Contributor

Dear Raj,

It is working fine now. I tried to select "remove the catalogue" option and then  reinstall DPE. It worked for me.

Now I want to restore some files for test.While restoring where does the  DPE will restore the files? How to change the location of restoration directory.

Just now I restored one file of E:\ Drive but where does DPE restored that file I couldn't get it,. Even the logs didn't say much.

Regards

Syed

Regards,
Syed
Rajanikant
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Syed,

1. Create a restore job and select the file to be restored in a new folder.
2. Right-click the file and select the Move command from the shortcut list.
3. Select the location you want to create the new folder in the tree view area.
4. Select the New command from the Commands task pane. The New command is available only when you select a location for which it is appropriate for the operating system to create a directory.
5. Enter a name for the folder. Data Protector Express creates the new folder in the specified location and restores the selected file files to this new folder once you run the job. Note that any new folder you create on the Selection page of the restore job is only created in the current restore job. Only the current job will show this new folder. When you create a new restore job or open another restore job, the new folder you created in the current job will not be displayed. Likewise, the new folder you created will not be displayed on the Catalog view either.

Regards

Raj

Syedfurquan
Trusted Contributor

Hi Raj,

Came again for the help for one small issue. The DPE has been configured successfully and teh backup and restore is working fine.

I have configured the backup with configurations properties as:

Scheduled Type: Run Repeatedly

Start Time: 02:00AM

Rotation Type: No Rotation

Interval Settings: Every 1 day(s)

Now the problem I am facing is that being the backup scheduled for everday it don't run for 2 days in a week Friday & Saturday. Can you help me in knowing the reason why it is happening so?

Thanks for your support.

Attaching some screesnshots for your reference.

Regards

Syed 

Regards,
Syed
Rajanikant
Trusted Contributor

hi Syed,

by default when you select every day for the daily backup, Friday and saturday will not be configured. Click on the "day" and you will get option to select the days you want

Regards

Raj

Syedfurquan
Trusted Contributor

Hi Raj,

Came back again for ur help.

My backup was working fine till today morning. I scheduled the bacup for every morning 2am. When today morning I checked the backup status it is showing nothing in my backup template, not showing the earlier backup session also what i have performed. In the configuration there is nothing showing like the file system i have selected, or drive,or scheduled time for backup, everything was blank.

After that I tried to restart the DPE services. After restarting backup template came back for sometime but still not showing the earlier backup session. After sometime it again went suddenly and again there is nothing showing in the backup.

Need your help. Many thanks for all your support.

Attaching some screenshots for your reference.

Regards,
Syed
autonkoyokot
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

just to share my problem with DPX 3.5 SP1. my problem is snapshot creation failed.

I do backup these drive:

C:\ ----> has 4. 29 GB free space

D:\ ----> has 10.00 GB free space

my backup often failed with 1 error and it is the snapshot creation. In drive C:\ I have VMware installed but i dont think it is the problem because before I can backup them with no error.

hope you guys could help me on this

thanks

Rajanikant
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

What is the size of the backup from the C:\? If the backup selection from this partition is huge or the files that are backed up from this partition is huge, the snapshot will not be able to contain itself in the 4GB free space and that's the reason it will fail.

the possible options are:

--> reduce the size of the backups so the snapshot can be smaller

--> increase the free space

--> or some versions of Windows gives you an option to select the path for the snapshot on a different location and you can try that.

--> from DPX backup job properties, log options , you can enable or disable the snapshots. Uncheck the snapshots check box and try. this will reduce the performance of the backup and also cannot backup open files with out snapshots

Regards

Raj