5509 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP store open problems

Hadar_scpg
Occasional Contributor

HP store open problems

I use HP Store Open for a while now and I have a lot of problems with the tape

after backing up files on the cartrriage when I want to resstore someting from it I  can't load it

the store open become not responding and it won't load the tape

I have one tape that works fine 

and all the others won't do so

I have to make them work cause I have no other backup

I installed the new version of store open 2.2.1

and I'm using windows server 2008 R2 x64

when I run check on the tape I'm getting error:

LTFS16000I Starting ltfsck, HP StoreOpen Standalone version 2.2.1, log level 2
LTFS16088I Launched by "ltfsck TAPE0"
LTFS16089I This binary is built for Windows
LTFS16090I GCC version is 4.6.3
LTFS17087I Kernel version: Windows
LTFS17085I Plugin: Loading "ltotape_win" driver
LTFS20013I Drive type is HP LTO5, serial number is HU1150L2EL
LTFS17160I Maximum device block size is 524288
LTFS16014I Checking LTFS file system on 'TAPE0'
LTFS11175E Cannot read ANSI label: expected 80 bytes, but received 0
LTFS11170E Failed to read label (-1012) from partition 0
LTFS11009E Cannot read volume: failed to read partition labels.
LTFS16080E Cannot check volume (8)
LTFS20076I Triggering drive diagnostic dump
LTFS20096I Diagnostic dump complete

2 REPLIES 2
Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

I'm not an expert on HP Store Open but can get in touch with people that are.  I took a look to see if there was sufficient information here to pass on to somebody and it looks like in this case the error is pretty clear.

The software is reporting that when it tried to read the tape label it didn't get any data at all back.  That could be an empty tape, a tape that has been overwritten, or an I/O error preventing the read from executing properly.

Have you tried using HP StoreageWorks Library and Tape Tools (http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools) and running a 'read' test to confirm that there is data on the tape that can be read back?

I'll send on a pointer to this thread but anybody looking at it will probably need to know things like whether Tapetools can read data and does the I/O log on the host show any information or errors.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

roy_augustine
Occasional Advisor

That indicates that LTFS was unable to read one of the starting blocks on the tape. This block is critical for the LTFS file system for mounting the tape or even repairing the tape.

As Curtis suggested above, the first step is to make sure that you are able to read from the tape without issues. You could use LTT and do a read test on the tape to confirm that.

If LTT is able to read from the tape succesfully but LTFS still gives the same error, one possiblity is that some application has overwritten the initial sectors, thus damaging the LTFS file system on the tape beyond repair.

Was this tape working earlier? Means, were you able to mount the tape and see the contents after copying the data to tape? Which version of LTFS was used to copy data to the tape?