4487 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP1537A DDS3 Dat drive

Mike Hesse
Occasional Contributor

HP1537A DDS3 Dat drive

Hi,

I am having problems using this Tape Drive, It has not been used for quite a while. When ever I try use it, I cannot use any media, it fails on all media including brand new media. using the Library and tape tools, it reports that the tape drive needs to be recalibrated, how do I do this?

This device is on a Compaq server running Windows 2000 advanced server

Kind regards
Mike Hesse
3 REPLIES 3
Mike Hesse
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP1537A DDS3 Dat drive

Hi,

Sorry, I managed to figure out how to do a
calibration, however the calibration routine keeps asking for a DDS2 tape when all I have is DDS3 tapes, why on earth is it asking for and older format tape? Is there any way around this? I hardly wish to buy DDS2 tapes for DDS3 unit.

Cheers
Mike
Arimo Laine_1
Valued Contributor

I've seen this happen when DDS2 tapes are used as main backup media. This is not recommended, see http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg51254.html for more info.

It appears that the tape drive actually thinks it's a DDS2 drive... you could try to flash the drive firmware. Current FW is L105.

Before you try to update the FW or calibrate the drive, make sure that

1. The drive is installed in a properly terminated SCSI bus. It has NO internal terminator.
2. If your SCSI card provides termination power, remove the Term Power jumper from the back of the drive. Check this with card manufacturer.

If this doesn't help, to my knowledge there's not much else to do than get a new drive.
Steve Beadle

Thanks for the tips guys.
Could you tell me where to download the firmware, as I couldn't find any tape firmware on the site?

Thanks in advance

Steve