StoreEver Tape Storage
1748102 Members
5106 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Hardware compression on new Storageworks Dat 72 scsi don´t work

Finn Højgaard

Hardware compression on new Storageworks Dat 72 scsi don´t work

We have compression problems running backup by this customer. I have just installed at new HP Storageworks Dat 72 scsi, the old HP Dat 24 was to small for a full backup. But the new Storageworks Dat 72 "running BackupExec 9.1" will only backup with hardware compression 1:1, and the full backup fail. A LT&T compression test on a new tape says it is doing 1:1 ratio. When I do a backup it does no compression even though hardware compression is selected in Veritas backup exec. The driver for the tape drive is latest from Veritas. If I disabel all BackupExec services, install the HP dat 72 driver 1.5.3.2, restart the Server, the LT&T compression test on a new tape still says it is doing 1:1 ratio.
Then I look at the properties of the tape drive in device manager, it shows that compression is disabled and the box is grayed out so that I can't change it. How can I enable compression? Any suggestions please!
4 REPLIES 4
ltt.team
Frequent Advisor

Run "Drive Configuration Utility" in LTT to enable the hardware compression. Select the test, then click on the options button and set "Enable/Disable Hardware Compression" to enable.

Then, click Start Test. Running this test should enable the hardware compression of the storage device.
MSECO
Frequent Advisor

With Veritas backup exect, this software allways disable hadware compresion but when you run a backup job, it enlable hadware compresion a disable when it done.
The only way to check if hadware compresion is working on your drive:
1- disable all backup services from Veritas, runing L&TT device configuration test with enable compresion option
2- Restart your tape drive with all backup services disabled and then run L&TT compresion test, result= 2:1 or near
As default, Hardware compresion test is enabled.
Keep learning!!!
kortleven bram
Occasional Contributor

OK,
I'm having the same issue: the tape device configuration data saying "Compression: Disabled" in LT&T.

I have been looking for the configuration function in LT&T but I cannot find it anywhere.

Anyone who knows where it is???

Thanks!
MSECO
Frequent Advisor

You need to go inside test section, there is device configuration test, before launch that test you need to go inside options and enable hardware compression.

You can check L&TT user guide

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=101&docIndexId=179911&contentType=SupportManual&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=406729
Keep learning!!!