1753636 Members
5975 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Internal DAT 72 SCSI "Red X" in L&TT

cscsupport3
Occasional Advisor

Internal DAT 72 SCSI "Red X" in L&TT

I cannot seem to get the drive to show up correctly. In computer management, under removable storage : libraries, I do not see the tape drive.

In L&TT the drive has a red X over it. When I load L&TT in ASPI mode the drive shows up in blue but L&TT crashes.

I have been reading forums and cannot find a solution, feeling like I've run out of options.

Anything will help.
Thanks
-Jeff
8 REPLIES 8
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Disable removable storage service and any backup services that may be running. Start LTT in NT miniport mode
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
cscsupport3
Occasional Advisor

I have tried disabling any backup services and removable storage multiple times. This does not seem to be the problem.

I have tested the SCSI card and cable with other devices and it is working correctly. This is also a brand new drive from HP which is replacing a new one with the same issue. HP had told me the drive was defective but this can't be the case two times.
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Jeff, That is pretty strange all right so here are some questions.
Does it appear correctly on POST? What other devices have you tested? What kind of SCSI controller? Have you tried different terminators? Can you put the drive on a different server for testing?
cscsupport3
Occasional Advisor

I dont know what the POST is, sorry. But, I am actually testing the drive in a new machine and it has the same issues. The SCSI cable came with the card, the card is the recommended one from HP which is an HP Single Channel U320 SCSI G2 Host Bus Adapter.

I dont currently have any other cables to test. The drive I tested was a Quantum DLT VS80 and it showed up perfectly fine in the L&TT
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

POST is the black screen you see during BOOT UP. It should show you the SCSI card and what is attached to it. If you don't see it there, you will never see it in the O/S
cscsupport3
Occasional Advisor

The drive does show up in the POST. It also shows in the device manager.
cscsupport3
Occasional Advisor

I made a successful backup using the DLT VS80 on this same SCSI controller and cable. The DAT72 drive is still giving me trouble.
cscsupport3
Occasional Advisor

Problem solved: Seems as if the SCSI cable was the wrong cable or defective.

The original cable was an HP SCSI LVD Ultra 320.

Replaced original with Amphenol SCSI LVD/SE Ultra 2 / Ultra 160 / Ultra 3

Completed a successful backup and restore.

Thanks for suggestions Lewis.