1748049 Members
4919 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: LTFS for Windows not working, "The Parameter is Incorrect" in Explorer

bdlitsupport
Occasional Collector

LTFS for Windows not working, "The Parameter is Incorrect" in Explorer

I thought I'd try the new LTFS for Windows (Standalone on Win 7 x64)  July 2012,  version 1.2.2 I think.

With HP 3000 Drive on HP LSI based SAS card.

It installed ok.

The media can be formatted ok. (Obviously detecting the tape drive and partitioning the media ok)

When I  R-Click on the drive in explorer, expecting to be able to "Mount", There is no LTFS specific options.

If I L-Click, it returns "The parameter is Incorrect"

The "FUSE4Win File System Launcher" Service is installed.

Tests with ltt show the drive is working perfectly.

Firmware is  Z5AD

SN:   HU1201LCTJ

Windows is 7, Sp1, fully patched on HP Z200.

There are no errors in the even log other the "LTFS" can't open tape0, --which happens when I start the PC without a tape in the drive.

Any help welcome..

--John

10 REPLIES 10
mutic_predrag

I have exactly the same problem. Does anybody have solution to this?

KiwiiDigital

I got the same issue, someone can help us?
Rajanikant
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

From what i understand there must be a configuration issue for this problem. just to start with you can refer to the chapter 3 in the guide available http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03431222/c03431222.pdf

and confirm the steps you are following are correct.

If that didn't help you can probobly collect the contents of "\ProgramData\Hewlett-Packard\LTFS\" and attatch them here so we can try to help

Regards

Raj

How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!
eurocapa

Hi,

Same issue here, Mapping ok, LTFS FORMAT ok but when i r-clik on the LTFS icon in windows explorer, I don'thave LTFS properties and when I clik on it, the parameter is incorrect. Also, my drive is not seen as RAMDISK but like local disk.

I am using LTFS 2.0 and running WIndows 7 x64.

If anyone can help please !

thank you,

regards

James Rodgers
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

LSI HBAs are not a supported SAS card for LTFS with HP Utrium drives.  a P212 Array controller or higher with at least 256MB cache is the supported option.

This may not be your immediate issue, but uit certainly will stop you writing to the tape.

regards

Roland

milli102
Visitor

Hello,

Realise this is an old thread, but hopefully this helps someone.

This was driving me mad until I finally found this advisory.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=4249221&docId=emr_na-c03715420&docLocale=en_US

This worked for me.

WRLEY
Occasional Visitor

hi i am having this issue and the posted links are no longer available anyone have a solution?

Cheers

J

milli102
Visitor

Hi WRLEY,

Luckily I saved the page for myself.  Enclosed copy of what the advisory said.

Hope it helps.

SUPPORT COMMUNICATION -

Document ID: c03715420

Version: 1

CUSTOMER ADVISORY: HP Store Open Standalone Software returns an Invalid Parameter error when trying to open the drive letter assigned to tape media if the GEARAspiWDM.sys driver is installed for tape drives

Release Date: 2013-03-25

Last Updated: 2013-03-25

DESCRIPTION

HP Store Open Standalone software will not work on Windows platforms if the system has GEARAspiWDM.sys driver installed for tape drives. This driver may be installed by various CD burning software. On systems where the GEARAspiWDM.sys is installed for the tape drives, mounting the tape media using HP Store Open Software may mount and show the drive letter in Windows Explorer window. However, if the user tries to open this drive to see the contents or for any read/write operations, HP Store Open Software will display an error message. In most cases, the error message displayed will be Invalid Parameter ; however, the error message displayed can vary, depending on the OS version and configuration.

SCOPE
You can confirm the presence of the GEARAspiWDM.sys driver using the below steps:
  1. Open Device Manager .

2. Right-click on the tape drive and select Properties .

3. In the next window, select the Driver tab.

4. Click Driver Details .

5. A new window opens, which lists the currently loaded drivers for the tape drive.

6. Under Driver Files, confirm the presence of the GEARAspiWDM.sys driver.

This issue affects the following HP Store Open Standalone (SOS) Software versions:
  • HP Store Open Standalone Software version 1.2.2

• HP Store Open Standalone Software version 2.0.0

RESOLUTION
HP Store Open Standalone Software will not work when the GEARAspiWDM driver is attached to standalone tape drives. For HP Store Open Standalone Software to work properly, the GEARAspiWDM driver needs to be removed from the tape drives.

Removing this driver from the tape drives will not affect the CD Burning application.

The Windows registry needs to be modified to prevent the GEARAspiWDM driver from loading on the tape drives. Follow the below steps to make the changes in the Windows registry:

Modifying the contents of the windows registry incorrectly can cause your system to become unstable and/or unusable. When using the registry editor to change values, you will not be warned if any entry is incorrect.
Back up your registry before proceeding. The following are links to Microsoft documents on backing up your registry:

Backing up Windows XP Registry: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Backing up Windows Vista Registry: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Back-up-the-registry 

Backing up Windows 7 Registry: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-the-registry 

1. Select Run... in the Start menu.

2. Type regedit and press Enter . This will start up the Registry Editor.

3. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6D807884-7D21-11CF-801C-08002BE10318} .

4. Remove the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value.

The entries in the UpperFilters value are double-byte.
  5. Restart the system.

WRLEY
Occasional Visitor

This fixed it for me :)