1752750 Members
5269 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Recovering Data from Colorado trakker 250MB

Antony Slater

Recovering Data from Colorado trakker 250MB

Hi
I have a client who has some data we are trying to recover from a Trakker 250MB drive. We think that it was backed up from a win95 or win98 machine. We have tried the back up programs that come with the operating systems, the w95 says it can't read the vendor specific format and the w98, can read the tape but when we try to recover it spits out an error for each file saying it can't close the file on the hard disk where we are trying to restore to.
We have also tried the colorado back up program that came with the disk but this only works on w95 and says it can't read the data on the tape. The client has also found a receipt for what appears to be an upgrade for 'HP Colorado Backup' purchased from 'Release Software Corp' which appears to have been downloaded but we can't locate it on thier current network.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the data restored or how we can get some replacement software for the one downloaded? (the Invoice has a serial number)
Regards
Antony Slater

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Tape Backup (Small and Medium Business). - Hp Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Try the following web page:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/prodhome/coloradotr9844.html

Perhaps something under 'drivers and downloads' or 'solve a problem' may help you. Good luck!
Make a great day!

Roger
Antony Slater

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I have already tried the options on the download page and they didn't help.
Randy Rigby

I think the key is having the right version of Colorado Backup. Tape drive software is very specific, especially back then. In order to recover you will need to use either the same or later version of the software. It's been awhile since I've used the Trakker 250mb; however, I did upgrade the software twice. Once to allow using the 350mb media and the second time for compatibility with Windows 98. I moved off to the T1000e some time ago and finally up to the 8gb internal model. I will check the versions of Colorado Backup to see if I can locate the version you need for Windows 98. I may even come across the download name you need to search for on your network (incase it's a matter of not knowing the filename or the prefix).