1752579 Members
4539 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Surestore Tape 5000

Faye Wildey
Occasional Contributor

Surestore Tape 5000

I have been using Imation DDS4 90 tapes for ages but now my backup is too large and i have had to buy Imation DDS4 120 tapes.

When i put the tape in it whirs for a bit and then spits it out.

It keeps doing this and i dont why. Surely the tapes must be compatible?

Can anyone Help?
5 REPLIES 5
CA713937
Honored Contributor

The SureStore Tape 5000 is a DDS1 product. It's ejecting the 120m tapes because they are not supported.

DDS1 supports 60m and 90m tapes ONLY.
DDS2 adds 120m tapes
DDS3 adds 125m tapes
DDS4 adds 150m tapes

Here's a table of drive/tape compatability:

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/media/tapebackup_media/tape_dds/compatibility.html
The journey IS the reward.
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

Dear Faye,
The SureStore 5000 is a DDS-1 device with built in hardware data compression. Native capacity is 2GB with 90 meter tapes. I suspect you were buting 90m DDS-1 tapes and not DDS-4.
The length and format differences were quite confusing especially as DDS-1 started with 60m tapes. The HP product number for 90m DDS-1 tapes is C5706A (minimum order 10 tapes). You may also need a cleaning cartridge by now as they only last for 50 cleaning cycles. The cleaning cartridge is C5709A.

Rothery
Faye Wildey
Occasional Contributor

So is this drive incompatible with DDS4 tapes then? or just DDS4 tapes longer than 90m
CA756694
Honored Contributor

The tapes ARE incompatible with your drive.
Look at the link that Dave posted......

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/media/tapebackup_media/tape_dds/compatibility.html

cheers

John
Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

DDS-4 tapes are in a different format. The data density is higher and the track pitch is different. They also are longer at 150m.
The only tapes which is longer but with an identical format are th 60m & 90m DDS-1.
A DAT drives detects the type of tape by a series of holes on the lower rear edge of the cassette.

Rothery