1753856 Members
7320 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium Tape Drive

Mario Junior

Ultrium Tape Drive

Anybody knows how to improve performance of my Ultrium 230e ? Backup reach 50MB/sec only.

My configuration:
Host: NetServer LH4 - NT4sp6
Tape: Ultrium connected at Symbios SCSI (68p) external.
Data: NetRaid - RAID 1
SW Backup: ArcServer 2000
7 REPLIES 7
CA821585
Occasional Advisor

Re: Ultrium Tape Drive

Do you mean 50MB per minute? 50 MB per second equals 3 gigs per minute.
Mario Junior

Sorry, 50MB/min = 3GB/hr
CA821585
Occasional Advisor

50 X 60 = 3000 MEGA BYTES
CA821585
Occasional Advisor

In my case I had a similar problem. Was getting around 1.5 MB's per second. Found out that the version of the adaptec scsi driver I was using caused the ultrium drive to function in asynchronous mode. The updated driver corrected that and the throughput issue. The controller was a 26160.
Mario Junior

Tks. I'll try it.
CA864713

Might as well check for updates on SCSI HBA BIOS, firmware for tape drives (I think E22D is latest), drivers for tape drives & SCSI HBA's.
Also, do you know the target backup device can stream fast enough? Is it a local backup or across a network?
What backup software are you using?
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Mario,

make sure you are not connected to the RAID controller. Also you can download the Performance Assessment tool from here. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNum=C7420AV&prodName=hp+surestore+ultrium+215+internal+drive&locale=en_US&taskId=8418&taskName=download+drivers+%26+software&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=42915&prodSeriesName=hp+surestore+ultrium+215+drives#Diagnostic

This will give some idea as to what tranfer rate to expect from your system
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"