108790 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium tape drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA375386
Occasional Contributor

Ultrium tape drive

Will the HP-UX 11i commands fbackup & frecover work with an HP surestore ultrium 230 tape drive??? I see a reference that says tar is not compatible, and that I should use 3rd party software. I currently am upgrading from a 10.20 system with DDS-2 tapes and I want to keep my backup scheme the same for now (i.e. using fbackup...)
Thanks;
if only we knew...
2 REPLIES 2
BR19682
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ultrium tape drive

Hi there.
You should be able to keep your backup schedule with fbackup. cpio and tar are third party software not much supported by HP while fbackup is software from HP, that should work with any tape device, that will be recognized by the system.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Ultrium tape drive

tar and cpio are standard UNIX commands available on all UNIX flavours. fbcakup/frecover is a utility provided by HP. They are all supported on your HP Ultrium tape drive but you do need some patches for fbackup/frecover. for HP-UX 10.20 you require is PHCO_23861. The patch for 11.0 is:PHCO_23854
. These are available form HP. The patch for HPUX 11.11is PHCO_23914. Its also worth installing the relevany patch bundle.
It is recommended that you use a configuration file with fbackup and specify a larger block size.

Rothery