StoreEver Tape Storage
1753418 Members
4712 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows drivers for HP StorageWorks 1/8 Tape Autoloader

Cornholio

Windows drivers for HP StorageWorks 1/8 Tape Autoloader

I've been asked to hook one of these devices upto a DPM2007 server we have here in order to start backups to tape, I checked that the 1/8 is on the DPM HCL which it is but HP don't list any drivers for this device so my server is showing an Unknown media Changer and and unknown HP Ultrium SCSI device. My OS Is Windows Server 2008 64bit. I checked the downloads available for this device but there are no actual drivers listed for any version of Windows, you can only download the library and tape tools. Can anyone help me track down some drivers?

thanks
7 REPLIES 7
thomasr
Respected Contributor

Unknown Medium Changer is fine for the device type.

What backup application are you using? Some backup applications like Backup Exec will use their own drivers, which is fine.

If you want the HP driver SW, isn't what you need at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3663394&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3319912&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1114 ?
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Cornholio

Hi and thanks for the response, My library is the older 1/8 and not the G2, i tried the G2 drivers but they don't work. my backup program is Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2007 so to use the library I need Native Windows support.
Rick Boon

Almost the same problem here. Windows 2008 32bit, HP Storageworks 1/8 Tape Autoloader G1

Seems that HP has no driver available.

I am now trying other drivers.

Ross Wynne

Have you tried installing HP Library and Tape tools? That's where they load in the right drivers I think given they're not marked as unknown in device manager. I'm running my Autoloader on W2k8 64bit and other than an issue where the SCSI bus is limiting itself I've managed to make it backup through HP Data Protector without much issue! Been reliable for 7 months now.

Ross
Rick Boon

I already installed the TLTT in differtent versions, but now it seems the mij libary is defect, i went to the Datacenter and when i manualy loaded a tape from the libary into the drive the drive does not reconize the tape. It does this with every tape.

I will try to get a cleaning tape and clean the drive to check or it's dirty. The cleaning licht is off but I will clean it te make sure de drive is clean or broken.
Thomas Cobley

I too have similar issue.
Server 2008
DPM 2010RC
LSI Ultra 320 SCSI
LTT4.10 correctly detects autoloader and can load tapes etc. DPM 2010 only detects ultrium drive.
THe Autoloader is
Storageworks 1/8 Autolader G1 - ultrium 960.
I have contacted HP they only say use LTT4.10. Clearly HP software can talk to this device but they won't release drivers to microsoft.
alecwood

Windows 2003 Server R2

The drive inside the loader shows up OK, the loader itself though is listed as "Unknown Medium Changer" in device manager