New Discussion юеВ

Re: 50-pin or 68-pin ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Mike, one more thing -

The connector on the 28696A interface is (naturally) 68 pins, so connection should be straightforward, as your DLT7000 drive most likely also has a 68-pin connector.

Best Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28
Mike Fisher_1
Frequent Advisor

Good morning Dave

That's food for thought
I will bear in mind what you say when I next speak to the client

Will let you know
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies prefer a banana.
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

Be careful - the HP Surestore DLT70e (C5658A)variant is fast wide single-ended SCSI with a 68 pin high density connector (68pin HDTS).
The SMARTStorage DLT7000 (product number C6374A or C6375A [rack version] are fast wide differential SCSI.
The G50 can be equipped with fast wide differential SCSI or fast narrow single-ended.

Rothery
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

DLT7000 drive is a wide differential SE drive and requires a 68-pin connector.

DLT4000 drive is a SE drive and requires a 50 pin connector.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg51132&locale=en_US&taskId=8414&taskName=setup%2C+install+%26+configure&prodSeriesId=63988&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesName=hp+surestore+dlt+70+drives&docId=40558

Connecting the DLT7000 and DLT4000 together on a wide differential HBA would WORK, but SCSI bus would go down to the DLT4000 speed. So DLT7000 would be choked.

Recommendation: Connect these drives on separate HBAs for optimum performance for both.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Jerry Jaynes
Frequent Advisor

In reference to the 68 pin, make sure they tell you if it is a 68 High Density or 68 pin Very High Density.

Also make sure you have the correct cabling to support the fastest speeds.

As said previously, remember that by daisy chaining (if it is possible in this case and I don't think it is), you will not get any faster performance, The bus is going to sync to the slowest item on the chain.

Tell them to bite the bullet, shut it down and reboot.

Good Luck!
Never let 'em see you choke!!
Mike Fisher_1
Frequent Advisor

To complete this one:

Client has gone for an additional FW 28696A card + DLT-7000

Because all his HP-PB slots are being used he's also going to upgrade to an H60 which doubles his slots

Thanks all for your help
Xavier Gutierrez_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi all.

I just would like to point some things out (I do not intend to get points but to clarify some things).

First of all, DLT 4000 is a SE device as Dave said before. That means it's a LOW VOLTAGE device.
DLT 7000 is a Fast Wide Differential device but that does NOT necessarily mean it's LOW VOLTAGE DIFFERENTIAL. It could be HVD and, in such case, the DLT7000 won't degrade to SE but can even damage the controller and/or the DLT4000 when it tries to put it's signal on the bus.
High voltage and low voltage signaling schemes are incompatible at the electrical level and the can only be put together with a HVD-to-SE bus converter.

If the DLT7000 is LVD (I don't know if such a product exists within HP's catalog) it should work fine but both devices will not be usable at the same time without performance degradation of the bus.
Even if you only use one at a time, the performance of the DLT 7000 will be extremely low as the SE bus of the G50 server has a max. troughtput of 10MB/s and the DLT7000 is intended to work on a FWD bus, which is twice as fast as the SE on the G50.

And last but not least, as Vincent pointed out, the type of bus does not tell you the connector on the device. Typically, SE devices have 50-pin centronics or 50-pin high density connectors but some vendors (and HP does, at least in their HVD-to-SE converter) have SE devices and adapters with 68-pin connectors

Best regards to all.

Xavier.
Mike Fisher_1
Frequent Advisor

Xavier: 10 points for that useful info
Regards Mike