1745866 Members
4354 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Backup with HP LTFS config

yawming
Occasional Contributor

Backup with HP LTFS config

I am new to Windows 2008 server and LT05 Ultrium tape backup.

After installing Win 2008 R2 I found that Windows server backup is not aware the tape lto5 ultrium tape exist!  No drive letter for tape with only reference to DVD and disks.  I did not purchase any other backup software but found HP LTFS Config software which allows me to map the tape as a drive letter. With this software I can map it as a drive and use explorer to copy onto the tape.

However, the data is not compressed and  I can only store about 1.5 TB data.  When I check the driver with device manager, I noticed that compression is set to true.

Did I miss something?

P.S.This thread has been moved from ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) to Tape Libraries and Drives-HP Forums Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

If your data is already compressed (e.g. JPG or PNG image files) or encrypted, it cannot be compressed any further by the tape drive. This fact is often conveniently ignored or written in very small print in marketing materials.

MK
yawming
Occasional Contributor

These are mostly chart data files, propriety format.  I just tried one folder of 412 mb and filzip compress it to 355 mb. 

I am not aware that it could not compress jpg files and also curious how does the copy software decide what files to attempt to compress.

I was only copying about 1.7 tb folder.  Copying one sub-folder at a time it fits less that 1.5 tb.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>how does the copy software decide what files to attempt to compress.

I assume it tries to compress all files and when they don't get smaller, it either has a bigger file or leaves it uncompressed?

Both are bad things.  :-(