1748227 Members
4437 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can not get AHA-2940U2W to see SureStore Autoloader 1/9

Harold Tucker
Occasional Advisor

Can not get AHA-2940U2W to see SureStore Autoloader 1/9

I aquired a used HP SureStore Autoloader 1/9 with a DLT8000 tape drive and I been unable to get the SCSI card to find it. I checked the SCSI configuration of the Autoloader and it reports that the loader is at SCSI ID 0 and the drive is at SCSI ID 1. I am using an Adaptec AHA-2940U2W controller card that was listed as being supported by this device on HP's support site. The controller card and cables were installed in my computer and attached to an external stand alone DLT7000 drive that works properly when I reattach them so I feel that they are not the problem. I tried to swap the controller card with another AHA-2940U2W and a AHA-2940UW as well as the 68 pin external cable and terminator with no success. I press Ctrl-A when the Adaptec controller is performing it's boot checks to see if at a hardware level the autoloader and drive are recognized to no avail. Multi-LUN support has also been enabled, the controller card is terminated and the Autoloader is the only device attached to the controller card. I have also tested conectivity using a different computer with the same results.

Any ideas on what else may be wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.
5 REPLIES 5
Karsten Breivik_1
Frequent Advisor

Had similar problems connecting a scanner to a 2940. The problem was on the scanner, not the card. I could not detect the attached scanner in the utility because the LUN selecor on the back of the scanner was fixed between 5 and 6. A flick with a screwdriver fixed it to a proper position. I selected LUN 3. Note that the SCSI controller usually occupies position 7, so avoid using this. This time, the Adaptec BIOS scan utility detected the scanner without problem.

Also, here are some useful diagnostics commands.

/sbin/lsmod | grep scsi
dmesg | less | grep scsi
cat /proc/scsi/scsi

Also, there is a nice SCSI bus scan script at http://blog.sun.com/roller/resources/le/rescan-scsi-bus.sh

The device would propably be at /dev/sg0.

Also, you might want to check that you have good drivers for the card. On my system the Adaptec 2940UW looks like this:

# insmod aic7xxx
root@ubuntu:/proc/scsi# dmesg | less | grep scsi
[4294672.619000] scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
[4294691.558000] scsi1 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36

poi
Nicholas Stolar
Advisor

You didn't say what O/S you were using, but did you check the Tape Drives settings? I believe that they are set with the bus of 0 and the SCSI ID 3.
Harold Tucker
Occasional Advisor

I have not gotten to the OS as the bios on the SCSI adapter was not finding the drives so I aborted the boot up.
Harold Tucker
Occasional Advisor

The problem turned out to be a bad terminator. I replaced it with a new one and the SCSI card Bios was able to see the loader and the drive. Thanks to all.
Harold Tucker
Occasional Advisor

See above post