StoreEver Tape Storage
1748003 Members
4683 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Conflicting I/O error solutions

Mark Schlosser

Conflicting I/O error solutions

My organization is using a DAT24 tape drive back up and windows 2000 OS. Lately, we have not been able to back up (using the built in windows backup application) When we use the HP library to test the tape drive we get a message of "Drive reported unrecoverable I/O error condition; Sense Key:3 Service Code OX1100 unrecovered read error; SCSI cond I/O at 2/0.3.0 read. According to previous responses on this forum it would appear that the tape drive is dead. However, using Veritas Server back up software, I am able to do a backup. The drivers have been updated. What else could be done to use the Windows backup? We are a non-profit organization and have no funds to buy a backup application and the veritas free version expires in 39 days. Any help would be appreciated!!!!
2 REPLIES 2
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Hi.

NTBackup can be tricky... If the drive is a SureStore, you should have received a CD with Tapeware on it. This is free for use with a single server, updates and service packs are available from www.tapeware.com.

You should check a few things:

1. Don't put the tape drive on the same SCSI bus with Hard drives (or CDROM)
2. Make sure there's a terminated cable or if it's an external drive, a good terminator. There's no internal termination in the drive.
3. I wouldn't use on-board SCSI controller either, but a separate PCI controller.

This may well be simply a SCSI bus problem.

HTH,
Arimo
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor