3397 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Connecting MSL2024 FC to Server - First time with Fibre

The_Steel
Occasional Contributor

Connecting MSL2024 FC to Server - First time with Fibre

Hi All,

Let me first say that this is my first time using Fibre, so please accept my apologies for not having a clue what I'm doing.

I'm trying to directly connect an MSL2024 FC [BL531A] to an HP DL 380 using an HP 82B FC HBA [AP770A] and a Multimode OM3 LC/LC cable [AJ835A].

I have everything physically connected, powered up and installed including the HCM software, Windows drivers etc, I've checked the cable and the SPF's are connected properly. What I'm not getting is any link between the MSL2024 and FC HBA. I have configured all the setings to automatic and still no luck. HBA reports the link is down and MSL connetion can detect no light signal.

First question, am I using the right cable here? Anybody got any ideas where I have gone wrong?

Thanks,

Frank

4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Connecting MSL2024 FC to Server - First time with Fibre

Hello Frank,

do you not get green light either?

you could try to set the fc port on the MSL to "Loop" and set a fixed speed. Is it set to auto/loop on the HBA too?

There are manuals for the MSL2024 here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3936307

See the one called "HP StorageWorks MSL2024, MSL4048, MSL8048, and MSL8096 Tape Libraries User and service guide (AK378-96033, September 2010)".

On page 42 it asks you to verify that the HBA is supported - have you done that?
On page 158 there are some fc connection problem troubleshooting tips.
The_Steel
Occasional Contributor

Hi Johan,

Sorry for going quiet on this. No Green lights either. I cannot actually set the port type on the HBA, but I set the Library to loop and still no change. Link down on the HBA and No light detected on the Library.

I'm using a multi-mode cable, would that make any difference? I'm trying to get a second cable and HBA to test with.

Thanks,

Frank

jonnyroyale

Did you get a reasolution to this? 

I am having the exact same problem with the same equipment. 

8Gb HBA connected directly to MSL2024 LTO5 Fibre Drive...  Drive reports "No light detected".  If I look at the Fibre cable in the dark I can see the light being transmitted down the cable and the HBA reports OK so I don't know what the problem can be.

KMUAdmin
Occasional Visitor

Hi !

I experienced hat I had to swap the FC cables -

The right one of the two phases to the left and the left one to the rigth.

Seems otherwise the MSL submits the light on the same side/cabel where it receives the light form the other host / the switch.

Best regards.

Thorsten