StoreEver Tape Storage
1748185 Members
4533 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP StoreEver 1/8 G2 LTO-5 3000 SAS and P421 connectivity, does it work for DL380p G8

SOLVED
Go to solution
Iain Binnie
Advisor

HP StoreEver 1/8 G2 LTO-5 3000 SAS and P421 connectivity, does it work for DL380p G8

Hello,

I want to connect a HP StoreEver/8 G2 LTO-5 3000 SAS to a DL380p G8 using specifically a P421 1GB controller (I know other options are available) but this is the model we have available in our internal HP catalogue so easy to order.

I see on HP SPOCK its compatible and if you look in the HP Product bulletin at the specs of the autoloader it does not mention this controller at all, I don't in fact see anything in the controller range (on the HP Product bulletin) that will fit a DL380p G8.

Just wandering if the doc simply has not been updated etc, as IM pretty sure SPOCK does not lie ?

Anyone got anymore information at all, greatly appreciated !

Cheers

Iain

1 REPLY 1
David_Schwartzs
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP StoreEver 1/8 G2 LTO-5 3000 SAS and P421 connectivity, does it work for DL380p G8

The P411, the predecessor to the P421, is listed in the quickspecs for the StoreEver 1/8 G2 as compatible.

In the P421 quickspecs, multiple models of the StoreEver 1/8 G2 autoloader are listed as compatible though not specifically the LTO5-3000. However, in that section where they point out compatible devices, it constantly makes reference to the P411 - my assumption is that someone at HP was lazy and just copied and pasted a lot of sections from the P411 quickspec into the P421 quickspec to avoid rewriting, and didn't do any updating either. (Shame on them, really...)

Since the LTO4 and LTO5 versions of the StoreEver 1/8 G2 have the exact same connectivity, there shouldn't be any reason for the LTO5 drive version to not be compatible when the LTO4 version specifically is.

So, in short, I'd trust in SPOCK and assume it's a good recommendation.

However, it's a bit of a waste to use an intelligent SmartArray controller as a HBA for a tape drive. You may want to see if these parts are in the catalog of parts you can order, as they're "dumb" HBAs and will cost considerably less.

H221 HBA - 650931-B21
H222 HBA - 650926-B21

Hope this helps!
Regards,
--
David Schwartzstein
IT Channel Sales Expert / Solutions Architect

Currently looking for my next opportunity - http://www.linkedin.com/in/pctechyoda

If my post solves your problem, please kindly take a moment to mark my post as a solution. Thank you.