StoreEver Tape Storage
1753468 Members
4596 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to connect MSL2024 BL542A 3000, Fiber Channel, with Rj45 "Link Act., drive only"

oceanografico
Occasional Advisor

How to connect MSL2024 BL542A 3000, Fiber Channel, with Rj45 "Link Act., drive only"

Hi:

I suppose that the rj45 near the fibber connector, is the "altternative" for the fiber ¿how can i configure that?

I conect to the library web, through the manager Rj45, but i only can configure the Manager RJ45 IP ¿how can i configure the "drive only" rj45 IP

Thx 4 all!

P.S. This thread has been moved from Automated Backup to Tape Libraries and Drives. - Hp Forum Moderator

15 REPLIES 15
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: How to connect MSL2024 BL542A 3000, Fiber Channel, with Rj45 "Link Act., drive only"

Hi,

I believe the RJ-45 on the MSL2024 is only for an out-of-band management interface. If you want to use the robotics in your case you need to use fibre channel (as it appears you got the FC version of the library).

Why do you want to connect to the IP of the drive?
oceanografico
Occasional Advisor

Well, in the back of the library i have 2 rj45, the one in the corner is the management rj45 with a IP. The other rj45, next to the Fiber connector, is the big mistery: must have a IP? how a configure to connect to my backup server?

Thx in advance!

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

See the user and service guide for the MSL page 34.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02062384/c02062384.pdf

"factory only port".

Eric_de_Lange
Frequent Advisor

The Ethernet port on the drives are for drive management purposes only and do not need to be connected.

oceanografico
Occasional Advisor

I read that manual com-ple-te-ly and still having no idea  :-(

I have an rj11 serial port (factory use only) next to the management rj45.

The back of my library BL542A is not in the manual.

I think that "drive a, port A" is the FC interface, and "drive a, port B" is the other rj45 port.

Using the web, the library shows "port B not present", using the frontal display, I can configure port B, or it seems, because the parameters wont save.

I conected a ethernet cable to that rj45 and leds of "link" and "act" blinks, so an ethernet card must be inside.

Im very very very lost. thanks for any help!

Eric_de_Lange
Frequent Advisor

I believe your configuration is shown on page 53 (bottom) of the service manual which was linked earlier in this thread.

Port A is your primary FC connection to the SAN. it hosts the drive and the library controller.

Port B is also a FC port and not used initially. In dual-fabric configurations, this port would allow backups to continue even if the SAN to which port-A is connected failed completely. This is HA functionality through and I am not sure if this feature is enabled in this model of MSL. You can configure this port through the web interface of the library (RJ-45 port left of the RJ-11 serial connection).

This LTO-5 drive does not have a RJ-45 port like other library models of this tape drive. If your library back end looks different then perhaps you could post a picture of it ?

Thanks,

-Eric

oceanografico
Occasional Advisor

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/back1v.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/back2f.jpg/

Thats the back of my MSL2024

Well, page 53 has the "closer" back, but doesnt have the second RJ45

The web interface shows "PORT B Port not available"

Thx!

oceanografico
Occasional Advisor

In the 2nd image you have from right to left this list of connectors:

USB

rj11

rj45 (management)

Fiber connector

The mistery rj45

I wonder what can i do with the usb. Perhaps i can connect to my XP computer and windos update will download the driver for me  :-D

Eric_de_Lange
Frequent Advisor

interesting...

So, yes Port B is blocked you just have one FC port. I think this is done to reflect that this MSL is not HA (High Availabillity) capable. as to the the ethernet port on the drive module..i'll have to do some digging.

-Eric