4564 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSL8096-LTO5 Drive Hardware Encryption enabling

Pramod M
Regular Advisor

MSL8096-LTO5 Drive Hardware Encryption enabling

Hello Experts,

We have a new MSL8096 Tape Library with LTO-5 FC Drives. I have read that it is possible to enable harware encryption on LTO5 drives with out any additional license. Is it required any special Encription kit for this purpose or I can use a normal USB drive 1GB or more? We are using Data Protector 6.11 as the Backup application.

From the MSL user guide it says as below.

***************************************************************************************

HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 & MSL Encryption Kit
The Encryption Kit provides secure generation and storage of encryption keys. The Encryption Kit may be used with any HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader or the MSL2024, MSL4048, MSL8048 and MSL8096 Tape Library with at least one LTO-4 or later generation tape drive. The Encryption Kit cannot be used with the MSL6000.
The Encryption Kit includes two USB key server tokens. One key server token is available for use as backup for the other. To use the Encryption Kit, a key server token is inserted in the USB port on the back of the Autoloader or Library, and encryption is enabled and configured from the RMI.

The Encryption Kit supports your manual security policies and procedures by providing secure storage for encryption keys. Access to the key server tokens and their backup files is protected with user-specified passwords. You will need to create processes to protect the tokens and secure the passwords.

***************************************************************************************

Please advise..

Thanks in advance..

Pramod

P.S. this thread has been moevd from Automated Backup to Tape Libraries and Drives - HP Forums moderator

1 REPLY 1
Pramod M
Regular Advisor

Re: MSL8096-LTO5 Drive Hardware Encryption enabling

Hope I put this thread on right forum ? 

Any help pls...