1745928 Members
4251 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Open Ultrium 448 external case

Urs Weiss

Open Ultrium 448 external case

Hello

We have an external LTO Ultrium 448 tape drive. Because it is very very loud we want to move it directly into the machine.
Can someone tell me how i can open the case to remove the tape drive?? Sounds easy but this makes me crazy.....

Thanks
Urs

P.S. This thread has been moved from Tape Backup (Small and Medium Business) to Tape Libraries and Drives - HP Forums Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Lewis Finch
Honored Contributor

Re: Open Ultrium 448 external case

Are you sure it is working correctly? Those drives aren't that loud. I would discourage you from taking it out of the case and putting inside the server unless you are confident of that there is sufficient cooling. These drives can overheat without it and shorten the life. Proper mounting rails could be an issue as well
"You can't lead the orchestra without turning your back to the crowd"
Urs Weiss

The drive not, but the fan is terriblly loud.

The drive itself is (as far i know) absolutley identical with the internal version. It only has a separate case, power supply and an additional board. Im sure this works without problems but i don't find the trick to open the case. I hope i dont't have to destroy the case to remove the drive.

Only found one screw on the rear side.
Frank_172

It's a long time ago since you asked how to open an external case. I'm facing the same challange right now. Had you found a way to open it without breaking it? Thanks...

Frank_172

It's funny, since I posted the question it only needed a minute to open it. The solution is: After removing the only screw at the rear you need to push the upper plastic part of the case (which was tightened with the screw) at both sides away from the case. Only little power is needed and it will unlatch. That's it.

Antipodian

Thanks for the information Frank, old post but helped me to avoid using force!!