StoreEver Tape Storage
1752307 Members
5584 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultrium & Compaq DL380

Tony_65

Ultrium & Compaq DL380

First of hello to everybody from a new member ;)

I seriously thinking of Ultrium 215e tape drives for our servers, mainly compaq DL380 (Win2K). From what I read, we would have to use the external model. But can anybody give me some more advice or comments about those Ultrium drives ? I would really like to convince my superior to agree on a test setup. Thx !
4 REPLIES 4
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

Re: Ultrium & Compaq DL380

HP just this week finished the qualification of the LTO drives for Proliant servers.

I looked around on the web site but wasn't able to find a good reference yet. But based on this it is quite possible that the 215i drive is now supported.

I would suggest you call your HP sales representative and ask for more details.

The one critical thing about internal drives is cooling. LTO drives require a fair amount of cooling when they're isntalled internally. But I assume this has been addressed as part of the qualification.
Tony_65

Jan, thank you for the fast reply ! This is ofcourse good news regarding hardware compatibility.
I you said, I will contact HP soon for more details so we can start testing.
Do you also know Jan, if the standard integrated Windows2000 Backup tool is able to use the Ultrium drive ? Or do we still have to use specialized packages like Arcserver or Brightstor for our Windows2000 servers ?

Thx again Jan !
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Hello Tony,

Technically you will be able to use the MS backup application after installing the drivers which are on the www.hp.com website.

It may well be that this application will not give you the best performance possible though. I would download a trial version of you favorite NON-MS backup application and test these as well.

happy taping,

-Eric
Tony_65

Eric, thanks your reply. I think I have enough details now to do some testing. As for software, I will test the 3 packages : Arcserve, Brightstor & Windows' backup util.

Bedankt alvast.