UCMDB and UD Practitioners Forum (Previously CMS)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Licensing OS Host Count - Do no longer discovered hosts count as part of the license?

Occasional Advisor

Licensing OS Host Count - Do no longer discovered hosts count as part of the license?

In a site where we are doing a migration from one physical location to another and we are using uCMDB 10.1. We would like to be able to model a before and after migration and to do this we need to keep the intial discovered host. So basically the question is which hosts count as part of the license and do hosts that are no longer being discovered but are in the database count as part of the license?

4 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: Licensing OS Host Count - Do no longer discovered hosts count as part of the license?

Hi Mark,

UCMDB 10.1 wasn't released yet. What you have is most probably 10.01.

All host saved in UCMDB is counted. Any CI that will not be discovered  due to relocation/infrastructure change will be deleted (AKA aged) after some time. Aging could be disable fo rspecific CIT. Disabling of aging for whole system isn't recommended but possible.

Hope this helps.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Click the Like button at bottom to say 'Thanks'.
Occasional Advisor

Re: Licensing OS Host Count - Do no longer discovered hosts count as part of the license?

Hi Dimya,

Thanks for the response. My intention was to disable ageing for those CI's that had migrated to our new data center and discover the new CI's in the new datacenter as normal. But I would like to keep the old data center CI's in the database for archival/reporting purposes but I know that increases the Node CI count. I was hoping the license was based around OS hosts been discovered rather than just in the database.

Does this also mean that any manually created windows CI's count against the license total?

HPE Expert

[ Edited ]

I'd like to correct myself. Actually, we do not count hosts that are being inserted manually (given that no discovery is used to discover or get any information about them whatsoever ), and for integrations – we have 3rd party integration license where we do not count the hosts.

In addition, just for clarification purpose. What is coundted isn't hosts but OSI (AKA Operating System Instance) Each implementation of the bootable program that can be installed onto a physical system or a partition, such as system Virtual Machines, virtual environments, virtual private servers, containers, guests and zones, within the physical system. A physical system can contain multiple Operating System Instances.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Click the Like button at bottom to say 'Thanks'.
Highlighted
Advisor

Hello Dima, how should I calculate the Operating System Instances (that is, licence consumed in my ucmdb)?

Is there a tql available for this purpose?

thanks and kind regards,
Diego Colombatto