1753481 Members
4505 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Raid disk insert

Inge_Suzzy
Frequent Advisor

Raid disk insert

I want to insert a new disk drive over the server of my VCX system, HP proliant 120G6, I searched over the datasheet of the proliant, and I found that the disk drives are hot plug, so I understand that i can insert the disk without stopping the telephony  with shutdown of  the server.

Although in the VCX admin guide 9.5, i found that the server has to be shutdown before the insertion, but i don't know if it is because it's a paper based on IBM servers.Could someone help me? :smileysad:

John_Katzmaier
Valued Contributor

Hi Inge_Suzzy,

The requirement to shutdown the server before installing the RAID drive is also present in the VCX 9.8 Enterprise Installation Guide, which was written with the HP ProLiant servers in mind. So you must still shutdown the server before installing the RAID drive. Additionally, the initial portion of the RAID configuration requires that services be stopped, so unless you have a secondary VCX server that can takeover IP Telephony services, the phone system will be unavailable during the initial portion of the of the RAID installation procedure.

Inge_Suzzy
Frequent Advisor

I have a secondary server, so i could stop the telephony in one of the server to make the insertion and configuration while the other server is working.

I wanted to know, if it is recommended to use the spare disk in both servers at the same time or What is recommended for this kind of redundancy?

Valued Contributor

Hi Inge_Suzzy,

If you need to maintain IP Telephony functionality at all times, then install the RAID disk first in the Secondary, and then when that process is complete, install a RAID disk in the Primary. You could instead install the RAID disk first in the Primary and then in the Secondary.

If you do NOT need to maintain IP Telephony functionality at all times, then you may choose to install RAID disks in both servers at the same time.

The recommendation is to ensure you have current system backups before installing the RAID disks and then install the disk in one server at a time.