108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Aries Container and NFS Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Juan M Leon
Trusted Contributor

Aries Container and NFS Server

Hello all, I would like to ask for your guidance and opinion. I have an application and DB running on RP7420 servers. We have in plan to migrate them to a HPC7000 blades running over aries PA risc emulation.  in our test environment I have 2 BL860ci2 and they are members of a 2 node cluster. In the cluster I have 2 packages. each package is running a  HP9000 server. I undertand that SRP does not support NFS servers however I still need to export one of the filesystem from the container. What I am planning to do is to create another package to export the filesystem at the Blade server level. This will be exported after the container is up and it will be un-exported before the container is stopped.

My two concerns are :

if the NFS clients have the exported file system mounted, will I have problems trying to un-export?

Since the filesystem is accessible at the container and blade host server, will there be any conlfict or issues with data corruption or locked files?

Finally will you have any suggestions on how to accomplish NFS exporting without using cluster package.

thank you

juan

2 REPLIES 2
Juan M Leon
Trusted Contributor

Re: Aries Container and NFS Server

All, just for reference I included a visio diagram.

Picture number 1 represents the two node cluster (blue box) with 2xBL860cI2

Picture number 2 is the representation of one BL860cI2 with the container server and the requirement to export a local filesystem to a removete server

Picture number 3 is actually how we are acomplishing the NFS export. since the container server is visible from the BL860cI2 we are exporting the filesystem from the physical server to a remote server.

I hope it helps explaining better and please let me know if you have anyother questions.

Thank you

Juan

Dave Olker
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Aries Container and NFS Server

>  What I am planning to do is to create another package to export the filesystem at the Blade server level.

>  This will be exported after the container is up and it will be un-exported before the container is stopped.

It sounds like you are using a combination of HP9000 Containers as Serviceguard packages and a Highly Available NFS package.  Is it possible for both HP9000 Containers to act as NFS clients and mount the filesystem via the HA/NFS package?  That way the HA/NFS package could migrate independently between cluster nodes and the HP9000 Containers would be oblivious to this because they would mount the filesystem using the floating package IP address.  In this way, the HP9000 Containers would not care which physical cluster node was servicing the NFS filesystem at any given time and you likely wouldn't have to time the starting/stopping/location of the NFS package with the starting/stopping/location of the HP9000 Container package.

>  My two concerns are :
>  if the NFS clients have the exported file system mounted, will I have problems trying to un-export?

This should not be an issue.  NFS servers are stateless (assuming you are using NFS v3) so they don't know which NFS clients have their shared/exported filesystems mounted at any given time.  If you un-share a filesystem from the NFS server while the client has it mounted the client will simply get an ESTALE (stale NFS filehandle) error.

>  Since the filesystem is accessible at the container and blade host server,

>  will there be any conlfict or issues with data corruption or locked files?

If you separate the NFS filesystem to its own HA/NFS package and configure both HP9000 Containers as NFS clients then there should be no issue.

Regards,

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo