4501 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cant change DVD drive from one vm to another

Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

Cant change DVD drive from one vm to another

Greetings
Server=rx6600, hpux 11.31. I shared the server DVD drive to new virtual machine vm1. Worked fine. Now I have created second vm and need the drive. Used hpvmmodify -P xx -d dvd:scsi:0,1,1 and hpvmstatus no longer shows the drive on vm1. Tried to use hpvmmodify to attach to vm2 - it indicates duplicate backing device and fails. An ioscan on vm1 still shows the DVD, even after doing hpvmdevmgmt -m ....SHARE=NO. How do I pry vm1 hands off this drive? thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Probably not a solution but an option..

if you really need the vm to release the DVD, then reboot the VM. ( not a good solution but a solution ).

things are more reliable if you use a null vDVD and iso files..
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonsoir Dave,

Not sure I have correctly understood. So, some questions :

- "duplicate backing device and fails" --> tends to indicate that the DVD is already attached to vm2 ?

- "Used hpvmmodify -P xx -d dvd:scsi:0,1,1" What for ? DVD are supposed to be shareable between VM

- "How do I pry vm1 hands off this drive?" Once you have used a dvdrom inside a VM and want to release it, of course you must unmount it. But you have something else to do : you must do a virtual eject of the CD. You can eject the CD from the virtual console (hpvmconsole) with the command EJ

Hope this help to solve the problem

Eric
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

A reboot of vm01 removed the disk from the first vm. Was still unable to use hpvmmodify to add the dvd to second vm, same duplicate backing error. Did a hpvmdevmgmt -l all, the only entry for this device was showing that is was shared. Finally used hpvmmodify with null instead of disk. This did work, though my vm was corrupted somewhere during the hpux 11.23 installation. The san volume it was mounted on became corrupt - it cannot be mounted or fscked either. Not sure if I did it or I have a hdwe problem....