108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Confused about virtualization in vPars V6.1 and Integrity VM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mr Phil Rigby
Advisor

Confused about virtualization in vPars V6.1 and Integrity VM

Hi. Having read through the release notes and admin guide for vPars v6.1, I am more confused about the virtualisation offered in vPars v6.1. It used to be the case that vPars were simply a way of carving up physical hardware within an nPar but now it seems vPars allow the ability to virtualise I/O with similar methods to those previously used in Integrity VM. I understand that vPars still use dedicated physical cores and memory but I now really am not sure whether I can use vPars for production systems with very high levels of I/O. Will they cope and what is the best I/O strategy to use in such situations. Anyone who can clarify all this or point me to a paper that does this would be a great help. I didn't see any white papers myself which covered what I'm trying to understand.

4 REPLIES 4
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Hi Phil,

At last month's HP Discover conference, I presented a session on Integrity VM & vPars v6.1 where I explained the similarities and differences between these products, as well as explained many of the performance differences between the two.  I ran numerous I/O benchmarks on both products and presented the results along with an explanation of why vPars outperformed VM.

Bottom line, vPars (especially with Direct I/O) offers near native I/O performance and CPU utilization, even during heavy I/O workloads.  I just checked the Discover Online website and confirmed that my presentation materials are available there for download if you want to learn more about this.

Regards,

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Mr Phil Rigby
Advisor

Hi Dave. Your presentation sounds like it could be just what I'm after. Can you supply a direct link to it please. On networking in vPars, am I  right in thinking that a vPar's network connectivity must always be virtualised now? You seem to have to define the vswitches or is there still an option to have complete native control of a NIC from within a vPar? I really am not sure where HP are going with the merger of Integrity VM and vPars. The differences are becoming very blurred with 6.1.

Dave Olker
HPE Pro
Solution

Phil,

The slides are posted on the Discover Online site.  If you don't have access to that site or prefer a cleaner (larger) version of the deck, send me an email and I'll reply with a PDF version of the deck.

In answer to your question, with vPars v6.1 you can use either shared networking, where you create a virtual switch just like with HPVM, or you can use Direct I/O, where you assign a specific NIC or NIC port (depending on the manufacturer of the NIC device) to a vPar.  With Direct I/O the NIC/port is directly controlled by the vPar and not shared.

Regards,

Dave

dave.olker@hp.com

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Mr Phil Rigby
Advisor

Thanks Dave, the presentation was very helpful and clarified which deployment scenarios are best served by Integrity VM and which by vPars, which was just what I was after.