4684 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP IVM Migration from 6.10.5 to 6.30.5 on HPUX 11.31

Trng
Super Advisor

HP IVM Migration from 6.10.5 to 6.30.5 on HPUX 11.31

Hi Team,

we are having multiple hp guest machines running on HPVM Hosts(VSP)  and the current version of HP IVM is 6.10.5  ..Due to a bug in HP IVM 6.10.5 ,we  are planning to upgrade it to HP IVM 6.30.x Version ...

Any one had done such upgrade from 6.10 to 6.30 version ?.pls share some steps and and whether its online upgrade ,do we need to recreate exisiting  HPVM Guest machines again (what will happen to my HP VM Conifg(vnet,NPIV Mapping etc) ?

rgds,suresh

administrator
8 REPLIES 8
Stan_M
HPE Pro

Everything is described in HPVM admin guide

www.hp.com/go/hpux-hpvm-docs

I work for HPE
Trng
Super Advisor

Hi Stan_M,

i was going through documents ,but  need advise on bleow queries ..

1-my VSP OS is HPUX 11.31 Sep 2012  with latest QPK/Feature enabled bundles  ,but as per doc it says it VSP OS has to be 11i v3 March 2015 .....is it realy required to update VSP OS ,then whts the point in upgring QPK Bundles on OE 11.31 Sep 2012  

2-if OE not getting updated by QPK 2015 Bundles ,then wht is OE then ?

3-if i upgrade 6.10.5  to 6.30.5 ,do i need to reconfigure guest again (like NPIV,AVIO Conifg,device ming etc) as  i dont find such details in the guide 

4-Do we need to remove existing HP VM 6.10 software before upgrading to 6.30 

5-Any known issues ?

rgds,suresh

administrator
Stan_M
HPE Pro

1. yes, OE update is needed, that's why docs say that.

2. QPK are just patches, but OE is not only patches but also certain version of other products that are not patched, but fixed or enhanced via new versions. HPVM versions are developed and tested on given OE.

3. no

4. no

5. no known problems related to the update that I would know of

I work for HPE
Trng
Super Advisor

Hi Stan_M

So can we conclude the steps as below 

1-shutdown runing HP VM Guests 

2-update VSP  OE from 11.31 sep 2012 to 11.31 Mar 2015 using update_ux ?...

(is there any preview mode to check what are all software wil be upgraded before performing actual upgrade ?)

3-After VSP Upgrade to 11.31 Mar 2015 ,boot hpvmguest 

4- update hpvm_guest_depot.11iv3.sd  on guests 

5-release to users 

6-Also any rough estimate how much time (2hrs) to upgrade the OE Normally ?

rgds,trng 

administrator
Stan_M
HPE Pro

All correct. Not sure abou preview for update-ux.

I work for HPE
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Per the 'update-ux' help there is a '-p' option to execute the update in preview mode.

Run:

# /usr/sbin/update-ux -?

or

# man update-ux

for more information.

Trng
Super Advisor

Hi Stan and Patrik/Gurus,

1- My guest machines are runing with HPUX 11.31 Sep 2012 version  and SAP application(oracle DB) ..so if i upgrade the OE  ffrom 11.31 sep 2015 to 11.31 Mar 2015  requires any SAP application reinstallation ?...does anyone done such OE  upgrade on any application/database servers ? 

2- Also ,as part of rollback plan ,does breaking hardware raid option  is recommended instead of restoring from ignite backup ? ...that is i hv 2 hardisk in hardware raid (BL870c i2) ,so removing one disk manuly before upgrade will help me to rollback to previous state in case rollback required ?

rgds,trng

administrator
sapoguheman
Frequent Advisor

it is just like installing a software or upgrading the software no need to create anything again.

Prechecks: Take a ignite backup of the VSP (hostmachine) , or DRD clone for rollback in case of any issues.

You can check the upgrade using preview mode using update-ux -p -s XYZ 

1. Stop all clients first.

2.  Upgrade the VSP first using update-ux -s XYZ

Upgrade process will start and server will reboot by itself , once the server boots up it will take some time to configure all the filesets atleast 1hr and after server is UP.

Check : swlist | grep -i oe ; swlist | grep -i qpk  ---- It should be running with the latest version now.

hpvminfo -v 

There will be no impact on any of the clients all will be up and running as they were before.

Later you can upgrade each client sing update-ux . But make sure to exclude one virtualisation software bundle while upgrading clients which is  not required for VSP clients because that is needed only on VSP host.

Software Bundle which is not required on clients should be " BB068AA B.06.30 HP-UX vPars & Integrity VM v6" -----i excluded this while upgrading OE to March 2014 , Please check if it has same bundle for 2015 as well.

How to exclude the Software : use ! BB068AA after update-ux command.

Eg: update-ux -s <XYZ> !BB068AA