4253 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

How to disable layer 2 on VM guest

Artur-M
Occasional Advisor

How to disable layer 2 on VM guest

Hi.

1. I woud like to disable LAN interface on VM. Not only L3 via "ifconfig down" but L2 as well . Could you prompt me how to do it?

2. Is it possible to disable (somehow) specific port on vswitch? In hpvmnet man i've found posibility to tag/untag one but not to disable...

regards

Artur

6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: How to disable layer 2 on VM guest

I can only guess what this OS is, but why not unassign the LAN of the client from hosting device?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Artur-M
Occasional Advisor

Sorry about OS. HP-UX 11.31 (1403) host/guest. VirtualBase B.06.30.

I want the NIC to be visible and inactive.

regards

Artur

Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonsoir

1) Not sure, but from the VM side try the command nwmgr --disable -c lanX where lanX is the interface you want do deactivate

2) In my knowledge there is no way to disable a port on a virtual switch

Maybe you could have a better answer if you tell us why you need an inactive NIC ... ???

HTH

Eric

Artur-M
Occasional Advisor

@Eric SAUBIGNAC wrote:

1) Not sure, but from the VM side try the command nwmgr --disable -c lanX where lanX is the interface you want do deactivate

"nwmgr --disable -c lan4
ERROR: Unsupported operation: --disable"

This behaviour is not specific only to VMs. The same i've fount on rx2660 box (1403).

2) In my knowledge there is no way to disable a port on a virtual switch

That was my best shot. Unortunately, does not work ;-)

Maybe you could have a better answer if you tell us why you need an inactive NIC ... ???

Just testing differtent kinds of networking in clusters & VMs in comparition to linux. I want to force NIC to be in "DOWN" status not only "*". In linux ~"ifconfig down" closes 3 & 2 network layers.

In real life a can remove plug from NIC. In VMs I can not simulate that situation.

I've found similar unresolved thread.

Reagards

Artur

Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonjour,

IMHO it's a shame that --disable doesn't work with virtual NIC.

Anyway, a silly idea : what is happening to a vNIC if you halt the vswitch it is connected on ? I guess that the vNIC will appear disconnected on all layers but I have no HP-UX box within easy reach to make a test.

If it gives the result you are waiting for, and depending on how many physical NIC you can play with, the idea could be to configure a special vswitch that you can halt or restart on demand. You keep your VMs connected to a "normal" vswitch and you add virtual NIC connected to the "special" vswitch for those VM you want to test ?

Eric

Artur-M
Occasional Advisor

@Eric SAUBIGNAC wrote:

Bonjour,

IMHO it's a shame that --disable doesn't work with virtual NIC.

Anyway, a silly idea : what is happening to a vNIC if you halt the vswitch it is connected on ? I guess that the vNIC will appear disconnected on all layers but I have no HP-UX box within easy reach to make a test.

I guess the same but I don't have additional/free NIC to create vswitch. And I can not disable existing one because there are connected more clients. Besides AFAIK I should restart VM to add new vNIC.

If it gives the result you are waiting for, and depending on how many physical NIC you can play with, the idea could be to configure a special vswitch that you can halt or restart on demand. You keep your VMs connected to a "normal" vswitch and you add virtual NIC connected to the "special" vswitch for those VM you want to test ?

I'm looking for advisably solution notwithstanding your idea is worth thinking. Thanks for it.

Regards

Artur