108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

IVM DVD install to guest

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

IVM DVD install to guest

I am testing some install methods and ran into this a couple times. Wanted to see if someone has the solution.

IVM 3.0

I present the DVD to the guest.
Boot the guest and startup the cold install.
When the install asks for the second DVD the only way I can eject is to remove the DVD backingstore, insert second DVD, and re-present the DVD backingstore. The installation then fails. ( It seems to notice the DVD backingstore removal and replacement and does not like it).

I know I can create file based backingstores of ISO images but I would like to find a method otherwise.

There seems to be an option in hpvmdevmgmt -I to create passthough backingstores but there is not option for the switch. just hpvmdevmgmt -I.

Any solutions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: IVM DVD install to guest

Bonjour Tim,

The answer is to work at the virtual console (hpvmconsole). You are probably already in the virtual console for the installation.

So go back to main menu with Ctrl-B or whatever crontrol character you have configured. Go to VM menu then use EJ (eject) command.

Regards

Eric
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

ohhhhh... That is a good one.. Where did you find that trick?

Been reading the doc most of the morning.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Tim,

I only used ISO images so far, because this is much faster than the real media. In the vMP menu I used the "eject" and "insert" command to "swap" the images.

Now I assume it works the same way for the real media, because the manual says:

"...After you place physical media in the VM Host's CD/DVD drive, use the virtual console's insert command to turn a Virtual NullDVD back to a Virtual DVD, relocking the VM Host CD/DVD drive"

Try it.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Some lines more:

"The VM
Host CD/DVD can also be changed while the virtual machine is up using the virtual console's
eject command. Once ejected, the Virtual DVD will turn into a Virtual NullDVD and the VM
Host CD/DVD drive will unlock. After you place physical media in the VM Host's CD/DVD
drive, use the virtual console's insert command to turn a Virtual NullDVD back to a Virtual
DVD, relocking the VM Host CD/DVD drive."

Manual for version 3.5 - chapter 7.2.2.3.4 Virtual DVDs

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Really ? I don't remember :-( At the very first beginning of HPVM (1.0) I have been working with an HP guy on a presentation of HPVM concept to our clients. I guess he told me !

Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

I cannot believe I completely missed that chapter.. You know the one labeled "Virtual DVDs" argggg!!

It looks like it would be best to present the DVD as a nullDVD as to have better control over media insertion.

Agree ?

Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Torsten is right : it is often faster to work with an ISO image than with DVD itself. It's more true with RX3600/6600 where DVD are connected through USB bus :-(

But sometimes, it is really the simpliest way, maybe because you have no space to dump the DVD or it is just for a one time installation, or ...

So if you use a DVD you must know that you will have sometimes to face the situation where though the DVD is unmounted in the guest, and virtually ejected from the guest, and not mounted anywhere else, you will not be able to physically eject it. Most times it is because you have started a VM, who also shares the DVD with other VMs and since DVD was present at VM's boot time, the DVD is virtually inserted in this guest.

In this case you must "fuser /dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ" at host level to find which VM have the DVD virtually inserted then issue an EJ command on all these VMs.

Eric

Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

I completely agree. In this case I am just doing some testing and did not want to spend the time allocating disk for the ISOs. But now I have spent more time researching this. BUT.. I learned something along the way :)

Thanks Guys !!

Tim

Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

On vHost
hpvmmodify -P guest1 -a dvd:scsi::null:/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0

On vGuest from vConsole.
>VM
IN or EJ to install or eject DVDs for replacement.