5728 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

LINUX as guest (Integrity VM 6.1)

iLuke
Occasional Advisor

LINUX as guest (Integrity VM 6.1)

Hello,

Is it possible to install LINUX as guest os inside Integrity VM 6.1? I know it's not officially supported since 4.2.5, but just asking if anyone have tied it?

3 REPLIES 3
Ben Kinder
Occasional Visitor

Re: LINUX as guest (Integrity VM 6.1)

I actually did try this recently.  I thought, hey I would like to test the difference between Linux-ia64 and HP-UX ia64 under Integrity VM.  It panic'd on booting the installation, did not get very far.  This was with Debian/ia64, which actually has full support of installing directly on the hardware.

I then found out that for 6.1, not only did HP drop official support for Windows & Linux, they also dropped OpenVMS.  I am not sure that many people care, though the OpenVMS one surprised me because that is one of HP's OS's.  I just wanted to run some I/O tests myself.

Emil Velez_2
Trusted Contributor

OpenVMS is supported in Integrity VM version 4.3 which is still supported.   Integrity VM 6.X seems to be focused on providing VPAR and VM merged functionality and only support HP-UX VMs.  If you need OpenVMS VMs use 4.3 which is still well supported.

Emil Velez
Instructor Storage, Servers, HP-UX and Partner Courses
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Education Services
Ask me about training on StoreServ (3PAR) StoreOnce, StoreEasy, StoreAll, StoreVirtual, HP-UX, ServiceGuard and HPE Partner Ready Certification Training

internet: Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/emilvelez

HPE Master ASE Server Solutions Architect V3
HPE Master ASE Storage Solutions Architect V2
HP UNIX Certified (ASE HPUX 11iv3 Administration V1)
Certified HPE Instructor
HPE Product Certified - OneView [2016]
HP Sales Certified -Servers, Converged Systems and Services [2015]
HPE Product Certified - Converged Solutions [2017]
LennertVA

Be aware that Debian on IA64 has not been able to boot on IVM since 5.0.10 (ancient!), not even on IVM 4.3 which does support Linux officially. The debian 6 installer would boot but has no drivers for cdrom nor disk, so can't install; the debian 7 installer plain dumps core (which is what I presume you saw). This is strictly a Debian issue, and not related to IVM (not) supporting Linux. Maybe worth checking with a RHEL5 or SuSE installer iso?