Operating System - HP-UX
1752796 Members
5951 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MAC Address changes during SG Migration

Al McKay

MAC Address changes during SG Migration

I have an unusual issue. Whenever I migrate a HPVM using SG (Online Migration) The MAC address for the network interface changes. Any ideas/
10 REPLIES 10
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom,

This is normal.

The floating IP address is a second virtual IP address that runs on the the same hardware (network card) as another IP on the system.

When the package is running on node A it gets a MAC address from node A. If its running on node B it gets the MAC address from node B.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Al McKay

OK Now here is the real issue, I am forced to manually add the MAC Address to the arp table to communicate with other HPVM's on Blades servers (860i2) on the same enclosure. I can communicate with HPVM's on the same blade as well as other servers (physical and virtual) outside the C7000 enclosure without any problems. Just having issues talking between HPVM's on different blades on the same enclosure. This does not seem correct.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

It doesn't really matter where the machine is (real, virtual, same enclosure, etc). The MAC address is the lowest level of the communication protocol and the arp table's job is to remember where an IP address belongs. It is a cache and will eventually get refreshed and pickup the new MAC, but for immediate usage, you'll need to use arp -d to clear the cache or arp -s to change the MAC for this host on machines that need to talk to this new MAC address immediately.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Al McKay

I understand that but the underlying issue of no communication between HPVM's on different blades in the same enclosure is an issue. No ping, telnet, ssh, ftp, sftp. No communications whatwoever. That is why we are forced to manually add the MAC to the Arp Cache. I know this is a band-aid but what else can we do?
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Without knowing your exact network topology and how your routers are configured, it is very hard to make a suggestion, but if you are having disconnects when the MAC address changes, this usually points to something on the arp table refresh not happening as fas as you expect it to be. Your network gear may be configured to issue a pre-emptive arp refresh command, every so many seconds or minutes, which will eventually take care of this problem, but at the same time, issuing a lot of unnecessary arp refreshes will take its toll on the network load. But till you figure out the reason why this is not taking place, you might consider the pre-emptive refresh option.

arp -s to all the blades and VMs that need an immediate update should be a trivial network event. The rest of the participants will see the new MAC after arp cache timeouts. I guess I would just add this to the packages.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

Did you specify a mac address with the virtual machine when you created the NIc. If you did not it will not have the same mac address when it starts on another node. You need to have specified a MAC address when you did the hpvmmodify to create the mach card.
Bob_Vance
Esteemed Contributor

Something doesn't seem right, here.

What is your network interconnect module?

When the MAC address changes, the network stack should send out a Gratuitous ARP, which lets the other devices on the network see the new MAC/IP combo and update or clear their cache entries.

In normal SG environment, when you move a Service Guard package, the VIP arp cache entry is immediately cleared on other servers on the network (not just other nodes in the cluster).

You say that other VMs in the other local blades have:

>No ping, telnet, ssh, ftp, sftp. No communications whatwoever.

When a 'ping', for example fails, is it the case that the arp cache has NO entry for the IP, or that it still has the OLD entry with OLD MAC address?

When you add the arp entry manually, are you using the "temp" argument?

If not, then the entry will be permanent.
So, perhaps you've built up a bunch of permanent entries that are now not changing normally?

bv

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." - Chaucer
Bob_Vance
Esteemed Contributor

The HPVMs cannot communicate, but what about the main O/S hosting the VMs?

bv
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." - Chaucer