Re: NPIV - What have I missed ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
EDB IT Drift_2
Occasional Contributor

NPIV - What have I missed ?

Hi

Setup:

Bl870c i4 in a C7000 with Fibre Channel Pass-thru Module.

VM guest running HP-UX 11i v3 march 2013 with NPIV adapters.

Problem is that I see disks with 'ioscan -m lun' and in the SMH TUI, but not with 'ioscan -fnCdisk' or Web-based SMH.

This means that I can't work with the disks in some contexts. For instance I was able to create a volme group with a disk, but not export/import to another VM guest.

Device files are created in both /dev/disk and /dev/rdisk.

I came across the document that describes how to run EFI commands 'drvcfg -s' and then reset, but that didn't make any difference for us.

Has anybody experienced this ?

Best regards,

Tommy

3 REPLIES 3
EDB IT Drift_2
Occasional Contributor

Just discovered the following messages in syslog:

Warning: io_get_mapping fails

WARNING: Unable to retrieve legacy style dev_t for 1000001

Don't know if this has any relevance to the problem.

Regards,

Tommy

Dave Olker
HPE Pro
Solution

It's not clear what you're asking.  Does the VSP report NPIV is configured properly via fcmsutil?  Is the problem that you've created a VM, assigned NPIV virutal HBAs, zoned specific LUNs to the virtual WWN of the NPIV vHBA for the VM but the VM is unable to see the LUNs?  Is the VM booted via an AVIO LUN and now you're trying to see the NPIV presented LUNs?

Again, not clear what your situation is.  However, one thing for certain is with NPIV we don't create legacy DSFs so you would need to use the "-N" option of ioscan to see the agile device files for any NPIV LUNs inside the VM guest.

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
EDB IT Drift_2
Occasional Contributor

Sorry that I wasn't able to explain myself in my mediocre english, but you are spot on.

This was what I was trying to do:

>> zoned specific LUNs to the virtual WWN of the NPIV vHBA for the VM but the VM is unable to see the LUNs

but all I was missing was the -N option.

Thank you very much. Saved my day (or night as it is here in Oslo).

Best regards,

Tommy