New Discussion юеВ

Re: New to Integrity virtual machine - some queries

SOLVED
Go to solution
Amit Jindal_1
Frequent Advisor

New to Integrity virtual machine - some queries

Hi,
I am new to IVM, just going through the documentstions and the forums questions. My existing project wants to switch from SD 32000 to Blade BL870C with IVM on top. I have a few queries:

1)The web sites / introduction pdf says sub cpu , shared i/o etc , but what are the limitations ?
2)If I have two HBA cards, can i allocate one to one guest O.S and second to other? If a HBA card is attached , where the LUNS will be visible ?
3) The requirement is to put around 2.5 TB spread across ( 500 LUNS )for a guest O.S ? so is there any limitations of LUN numbers allocated to any IVM guest host.

4)Your experience - Is the install /manegement of IVM complex, should i use the earlier Vpar which I am comfortable with ? i don't want to use sub cpu etc .. even if i can carve out 3 partitions on a BL870C i am fine. With earlier vpar i can allocate HBA cards to individual partitions, so management will be easy ..
6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

All the limits are written in the documentation, for example

Maximum size of backing store (disk, lvol, file) 2 TB

virtual SCSI devices / VM├в Maximum 30

3.1.10 Configuration Limits
Table 3-2 lists the configuration limits for Integrity VM Version 3.5.

http://docs.hp.com/en/T2767-90105/ch03s01.html#configlimits

You spread 2.5TB over 500 LUNS? really? Sounds like overkill ...

BTW, vPars is not supported on blades ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Amit Jindal_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Torsten for the quick reply, I have checked the link. for one of the point it says ( virtual SCSI devices / VM ├в Maximum = 30 ) and ( Maximum size of backing store (disk, lvol, file)= 2 TB )

so what's the meaning of the first point ( sorry to ask a basic question : what's a SCSI device, a HBA controller port is a SCSI device or the LUNS attached to it are also classified as SCSI device )

if I am using a dual port HBA mezannine cards and attaching it to the array. The individual LUN size will be around 14GB ( Raw device for a DB ) and total around 2.5 TB = 2560 GB so around 183 LUNS , forcasted growth to around 300 LUNS, i gave a very high upper limit of 500.

So can't i hook it to HBA card with more than 30 LUNS or what .. ?
Amit Jindal_1
Frequent Advisor

I have some info for help:

Existing setup : one SD32K npar 4CPU ( 2 vpars ) @ 2 cpu each ( 750 MHz PA8700 RISC , 2.5 TB atatched to one vpar and 1 TB attached to other vpar )

Planned : planned to be moved to BL870C blade with 2 guest O.Ses @ 2 cpu each. My worry is will is how i will allocate the LUNS ( planning to use 2 mezannine HBA cards )

The LUN size can't be changed ( project requirement ) 14 GB each LUN.

Does this crosses any IVM limits ?
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor
Solution

>>so what's the meaning of the first point ( sorry to ask a basic question : what's a SCSI device, a HBA controller port is a SCSI device or the LUNS attached to it are also classified as SCSI device )

You can only present 30 backingstores to each Guest.

If you plan to present 300 14GB devices separately to a guest it will not work. The number is 30 max.

Now you can present a large lun < 2TB to a Guest and then chop it up on the guest side with LMV.

Amit Jindal_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Tim for the clarification, it will be problem then in my situation, these LUNS ( 14 GB X 300 around ) are refreshed LUNS from production , i.e clone of production DB in RAW format ( which is cloned on a staging server ) and presented to this DEV server for ST / DEV purposes.

I can't change the size as it will corrupt the DB data. So if i use a individual blade then I hope these limitations won't be there ?
Amit Jindal_1
Frequent Advisor

thanks for the answers.