5259 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to move vm guest machine

ting stong
Occasional Advisor

how to move vm guest machine

Hello I have following problem.
I have a VM host configured with 3 machines, running to the file.
Now new server is here to deploy but its completly in another location, I would like to create the same guests on that machine, but the network link between them is too slow.
Is it possible to copy, vm guest machines files to a removable harddisk and bring them to the second machine?then configure guests???
5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Never tried, but I would guess yes.

Lets assume you have created a VG and several LVOLs on that disk containing the virtual disks for the VM - vgexport the disk, vgimport on another host and setup your VMs using this disk.
Sounds feasible.

The harddisk must be a scsi disk, don't think about usb disks, of course ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Are you saying the VM guest OS is a file on the VM Host, as opposed to a Lun or Lvol?

If so, then you simply look at backing up the file on the Host, and recover it onthe new hos, then create/modify the VM Guest on the new host to point at the relevant file as it's virtual boot disk.
Don't forget, the file created with hpvmdevmgmt is of a type known as a sparse fiule, if I recall correctly, so you would need to make sure the backup utility is capable of handling this.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Ramesh S
Esteemed Contributor

Hi

We can also use "hpvmmigrate" utility to migrate the VM's.

http://docs.hp.com/en/T2767-90024/ch09s03.html

Best Regards,
Ramesh
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonsoir,

same advice "Never tried, but I would guess yes" ;-)

What you must be aware of is :

- virtual bus numbering of the VM on the remote host must be the same as in the actual host, specifically with system disk. So, when creating the target VM, you must specify optional parameters bus and device for virtual NIC, and bus, device and target for virtual disk to avoid NIC and/or LVM adjustements in the target VM.

- When you create a VM, EFI menu is empty. You can make a copy of file /var/opt/hpvm/guests/VMNAME/nvram from the source system to the destination one. If you don't, you will have to boot manually the new VM from hpvmconsole, then issue command seboot from HP-UX in the VM guest

Regards

Eric
ting stong
Occasional Advisor

copying nvram file, was the problem, thx very much, everything is now working perfectly