1753903 Members
10205 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hpvmcreate on san disk fails

Medavie
Valued Contributor

hpvmcreate on san disk fails

While trying to create a new vm on a complete san disk on the host. I get the message "hpvmcreate: WARNING (bchp901): Device file '/dev/rdsk/c9t0d2' in use by server". Initialy this drive was used to test creating vm's on logical volumes, but I have removed the volume group and the lvm info (pvremove) from the drive. I even re-booted the host to free up any allocations but still it seems to think that the drive is allocated. I have another san drive which is VirtualLVdisk and I shutdown the guest vm's as well to ensure that nothing on those vm's were holding the drive I am trying to install on.
Here is my hpvmcreate statement
hpvmcreate -P bchp901 -O hpux -c 2 -e 30 -r 4g -a disk:scsi::disk:/dev/rdsk/c9t0d2 -a network:lan::vswitch:HPswch2 -a dvd:scsi::disk:/dev/rdsk/c33t2d0

Any help appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

try doing a dd to the device to ensure any header info is blown away:
dd if=/stand/vmunix of=/dev/rdsk/c9t0d2 bs=1024k
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Medavie
Valued Contributor

I tried the suggestion and still getting the same result.
Medavie
Valued Contributor

Found the problem, there was an entry in the vm database for that drive. We assume it was put there when the drive was used with LVM. We used hpvmdevmgmt to remove the rdev and then attempted to do the create once again. This time it worked. I little gotcha, that I hope others will not have.
Medavie
Valued Contributor

Fixed as stated above