Operating System - HP-UX
1753329 Members
4960 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: relation between disk on host and Guest .

SOLVED
Go to solution
vandevoort
Valued Contributor

relation between disk on host and Guest .

Hi I wonder,

can anybody help me with this ?

HPvm4.3 on HPUX 11.31 .

what is the relation between the Physical disk device names on the host provided to the Guest and these storage  on the guest  device names?

in my example :

# hpvmstatus -P ahv007 |grep rdisk
disk    avio_stor    0   0   0   0   0 disk      /dev/rdisk/disk20
disk    avio_stor    0   0   0   1   0 disk      /dev/rdisk/disk21
disk    avio_stor    0   0   0   2   0 disk      /dev/rdisk/disk94
disk    avio_stor    0   0   0   3   0 disk      /dev/rdisk/disk95
disk    avio_stor    0   0   0   4   0 disk      /dev/rdisk/disk96
disk    avio_stor    0   0   0   5   0 disk      /dev/rdisk/disk244
disk    avio_stor    0   0   0   6   0 disk      /dev/rdisk/disk245
disk    avio_stor    0   0   0   7   0 disk      /dev/rdisk/disk246
disk    avio_stor    0   0   0   8   0 disk      /dev/rdisk/disk247
disk    avio_stor    0   0   0   9   0 disk      /dev/rdisk/disk256
disk    avio_stor    0   0   0  10   0 disk      /dev/rdisk/disk248
disk    avio_stor    0   0   0  11   0 disk      /dev/rdisk/disk249

and on that Guest :

# ioscan -m dsf
Persistent DSF           Legacy DSF(s)
========================================
/dev/rdisk/disk3         /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0
/dev/rdisk/disk4         /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0
/dev/rdisk/disk4_p1      /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s1
/dev/rdisk/disk4_p2      /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2
/dev/rdisk/disk4_p3      /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s3
/dev/rdisk/disk7         /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0
/dev/rdisk/disk9         /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0
/dev/rdisk/disk11        /dev/rdsk/c0t4d0
/dev/rdisk/disk13        /dev/rdsk/c0t5d0
/dev/rdisk/disk15        /dev/rdsk/c0t6d0
/dev/rdisk/disk17        /dev/rdsk/c0t7d0
/dev/rdisk/disk19        /dev/rdsk/c0t8d0
/dev/rdisk/disk21        /dev/rdsk/c0t9d0
/dev/rdisk/disk23        /dev/rdsk/c0t10d0
/dev/rdisk/disk25        /dev/rdsk/c0t11d0

so which disk on the Host is  /dev/rdisk/disk25    ??

I cannot figure this  out ..

Is there a command utility to request for the device WWID number on both Hosts as Guest to compare ??

4 REPLIES 4
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonjour,

The good answer is 'hpvmdevinfo' . It's giving you the relationship between host and guest special files. It can be ran both from the host or the guest.

Now let us analyze your output.

/dev/disk/disk25 points /dev/rdsk/c0t11d0. c0t11d0, on a good old SCSI card, means disk with scsi target id 11, on a given bus/device path. In your VM there is only one virtual bus/device that supports disks : 0/0. So virtual disk with virtual scsi ID 11 is /dev/disk/disk249 on the host.

If you use hpvmdevinfo you will clearly see that disk25 in the guest maps to disk249 in the host

Eric

vandevoort
Valued Contributor
Solution

continue on last :

There are two reasons I want this to know .

1 we building an HPVM environment  in one data cantra : with XP24K  a CA link to another datacentre some 40KM  from each , when a Disaster Recovery is neede we , place one data center on hold , uses Raid Manager (

# /usr/bin/horctakeover -nomsg -g <diskgroup>-S -t 10

# /usr/bin/pairresync -IH0 -g <diskgroup> -l -swaps -c 15

and start same Guest already created on the other side ( no Service Guard ) .

we created exactly same Guest on other side still during the boot the disk device names on the guest are differen as on  Guest in other data center ??

I need a check that I'am makeing no mistakes with vgexport -v -m vg.map vg / vgimport -v -m vg.map <vg> devices

vandevoort
Valued Contributor

Thanks Eric

Better than hpvmdevinfo I can not get this .. , just the command I needed:

# hpvmdevinfo
Device Type     Bus,Device,Target       Backing Store Type      Host Device Name        Virtual Machine Device Name
===========     =================       ==================      ================       

disk            [0,0,0]                 disk                    /dev/rdisk/disk20       /dev/rdisk/disk3
disk            [0,0,1]                 disk                    /dev/rdisk/disk21       /dev/rdisk/disk4
disk            [0,0,2]                 disk                    /dev/rdisk/disk94       /dev/rdisk/disk7
disk            [0,0,3]                 disk                    /dev/rdisk/disk95       /dev/rdisk/disk9
disk            [0,0,4]                 disk                    /dev/rdisk/disk96       /dev/rdisk/disk11
disk            [0,0,5]                 disk                    /dev/rdisk/disk244      /dev/rdisk/disk13
disk            [0,0,6]                 disk                    /dev/rdisk/disk245      /dev/rdisk/disk15
disk            [0,0,7]                 disk                    /dev/rdisk/disk246      /dev/rdisk/disk17
disk            [0,0,8]                 disk                    /dev/rdisk/disk247      /dev/rdisk/disk19
disk            [0,0,9]                 disk                    /dev/rdisk/disk256      /dev/rdisk/disk21
disk            [0,0,10]                disk                    /dev/rdisk/disk248      /dev/rdisk/disk23
disk            [0,0,11]                disk                    /dev/rdisk/disk249      /dev/rdisk/disk25

Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Just one more comment about your lastest post.

I need a check that I'am makeing no mistakes with vgexport -v -m vg.map vg / vgimport -v -m vg.map <vg> devices

Why don't you use the '-s' option with vgexport/vgimport commands ? '-s' at export writes the VGID in the map file. During the import it scans all disks for the VGID written in the map file and there is no need to specify wich disks are included in the vG. Unless you did some cloning at the storage level, and presented the clone to the same source machine, you are sure that you will correctly import a given VG.

Anyway, for myself I don't use '-s' option and prefer to keep control over all disk instanciations.

Eric