108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ssh connection to guest

SOLVED
Go to solution
Glerick Dale
Frequent Advisor

ssh connection to guest

While I was creating a second guest the system crashed. Ever since the crash I have not been able to connect through telnet or ssh to the first guest. I can ping the guest from everywhere and I can log in using hpvmconsole, but I can not ssh or telnet in from any workstation. Help please.
15 REPLIES 15
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Re: ssh connection to guest

Bonjour Glerick,

"... the system crashed ..."

Are you sure that the first VM has been properly rebooted ? Check /etc/rc.log for word "FAILED". Also this file should end with something like :
HP-UX run-level transition completed
Tue Jan 20 14:20:22 MET 2009
Glerick Dale
Frequent Advisor

I'm positive that the first guest rebooted successfully. The only part I that said FAILED was the HP Virtual Machine Configuration which was normal according to one of the HP reps.
I did reboot today to see if anything had changed , but I'm still not able to log in through ssh or telnet. While the guest was booting it did take awhile to get pass the mail daemon approx. 5mins.
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Unable to telnet/ssh but able to ping

## Check the syslog. This will provide you the hints
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Glerick Dale
Frequent Advisor

OK I checked the syslogs for the host and the guest. I've attached part of host syslog. It looks like every thing keep trying to connect to the host and not the guest. How can I fix this?
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonsoir,

Following you latets post "While the guest was booting it did take awhile to get pass the mail daemon approx. 5mins" I wonder wether you have a name resolution problem or not. It is often a good cause that can explains that sendmail takes a while to start.
Also, when you said in your first post "but I can not ssh or telnet" do you mean that you get an explicit deny as soon as you try to connect or does it take such a long time that you think you can't connect ? If so, try to wait and see if you get a login banner after some times. It could confirm a name resolution problem.

Something else. I found this thread of your own ( http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1300570 ) where finally the good answer was that you are using IPF. Could it be the answer ?

Eric
Glerick Dale
Frequent Advisor

Eric,
I turn off IPF and I've waited until i received " Keyboard-interactive:
Password:
root's password:
warning: Authentication failed.
Disconnected (local); connection lost (Connection closed.)."
checked the syslogs for the guest and there was nothing there for ssh or telnet. The host syslog how ever showed I was trying to connect to it.
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Before leaving I notice that finally you get a prompt for entering password. So we can no more say that you "can not ssh or telnet in from any workstation". Right ?

Make this test : in the VM Guest move /etc/resolv.conf in a corner, then try to log again. It should be faster to get a prompt for password.

Eric
Glerick Dale
Frequent Advisor

Eric, it's a little faster asking for the password, but it looks like it's still looking for the host and not the guest.
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Glerick,

"it's a little faster asking for the password". What about telnet ? That is just to validate that name resolution is one of the sources of the problem. telnet is a simpler process than ssh and involves less layers.

"but it looks like it's still looking for the host and not the guest."

I think you should also post about this in the networking section of HP-UX forums to reach network experts.

Anyway, we are going to see if you could have something misconfigured parameters at routing or name levels.

Please post in attachement :

hpvmnet -V (V in capital letter !)
netstat -in
netstat -rnv
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/hosts

and from each VM Guest

netstat -in
netstat -rnv
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/nsswitch.conf