1748179 Members
4001 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

vPar hung in crash state

vPar hung in crash state

Is there a way to reset a vpar in "crash" state? I am sure the cause of it was a vparreset command sent too early while the vPar was already being reset. It seems that it can't be reset because it gave up it's CPU's already. I am hoping there is a command I can use at the MON> prompt to clear the way for the reset to fully take place.
12 REPLIES 12
Mounaam
Trusted Contributor

Re: vPar hung in crash state

Have you tried:
#vparreset -h -p
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Soft reset (TOC):

winona1# vparreset -p winona2 -t

hard reset:

winona1# vparreset -p winona2 -h

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Yes. It says the vPar has relinquised all it's CPU's and cannot be reset. I have one vPar that is hung on that command and we are about to reset it as well.

I was hoping there was a command from the MON> prompt that would allow the crash to continue and hopefully free up the second vPar.
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Bonsoir,

Peter there is clearly no command at vpmon level that could help you to definitivly stop the vpar in "crash" state.

I am not sure what you mean by "relinquised". Released ? If so, maybe you could try to reload the vpar from vpmon ? Maybe it will free up the second vpar ?

Did you tried "scan" command ?

Eric

I tried "scan" and nothing changed. I have my original system in a "crash" state (for a couple of hours) and the system I did a "vparreset" from is in a hung state. When I try the re-issue the vparreset for the "crash" box I get a message about his CPU's being relinguished. The message was "vparreset: Error: Virtual partition xxxx0820 has relinquished all CPUs, cannot be reset."

We tried to reset the "hung" box and "vparreset: Error: Cannot access PIM data for virtual partition xxxx0800. I have 3 more vPars in the nPar that I would like to keep running if I could.
Eric SAUBIGNAC
Honored Contributor

Peter,

Just a silly idea before going back home : you got error around PIM data, so what about the system boot processor ? which vpar owns it ?

A more silly idea : I guess vpar have their disks on external storage. Can you disconnect the crashed and/or hunged vpars ?

Hope you will find more valuable help tonight

Regards

Eric
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

This text I posted to another thread earlier, but it applies anyhow:

"In a vPar environment the servers firmware, the vPar software and the entire OS must work closely together.
Especially if you see unspecific problems it is likely a good idea to check if there are newer software, firmware or patches."

Maybe you hit a "known issue" situation, but without knowing details about your configuration nobody can be sure.

Why not asking the HP support?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

We are checking into the possibility of disconnecting the disks temporarily of the "crashed" system. The "hung" system is the first vPar and probably is a bad idea to disconnect it.

I do have a call in to HP and am waiting on a call back. All the OS images and versions are the same in the nPar.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Meanwhile you could tell us a bit more about your config ... OS release, server model, vPars version etc.

Not sure if it helps, but disconnecting *external* storage from the crashed vPar should not affect other instances.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.