New Discussion юеВ

vPars software on SD2 servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

vPars software on SD2 servers

Dear all,

I'm looking for some individual opinions.

What do you think are the pros and cons about installing vPars software on a SuperDome 2 server?

As of today I don't see any need or benefit in doing so, but according to the version 5.07 release notes there are some enhancements for this platform included (without details).

What do you think?

Any experiences so far?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
25 REPLIES 25
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: vPars software on SD2 servers

I doubt if this is clear enough, so here is the corrected question again:

What do you think are the pros and cons about installing vPars software on a SuperDome 2 servers virtual partition?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

"What do you think are the pros and cons about installing vPars software on a SuperDome 2 servers virtual partition"

Hmmm, you mean simply "What are the Pros and Cons of using vPars on a SuperDome2 nPar" right?

Pros:
1.) vPars allow you to host OE environments that allows for dynamic memory and CPU allocations
2.) it could allow (depending on your ecosystem) to exact the last drop of performance out of your expensive 'Dome
3.) it allows you to set up OEs/servers where no one has any idea at all on what CPU and Mem and I/O demands your Apps may need
4.) allows your ecosystem to have a mega-sized environment to handle those "what ifs", end of month, etc processing - ON THE FLY. On our 'Dome, our vPars can grow from a few CPUs to encompass the entire CPUs available for month end processing.

CONS:
1.) vPars exact some overhead and is not as fast as a pure physical/nPar/server
2.) you could be bitten by a flaw/bug in vpmon/vpars layer that will render your vPars down accross the board.

So there ya go... if you trust your Dome as having no SPOF and trust vPars software as totally bug free -- then dive into it as your slice 'n dice solution.

WE have been using it since version 1.0 with great success. We sure had our sad days but overall -- it increased our ROI and utilisation of our 'Domes which translated to $$ savings.

Of course these days, we've shifted to Linux on X86 SmartIrons running High Availability Hypervisors so we have the highest availability at a lesser cost.

Hakuna Matata.
Joe Ledesma
Frequent Advisor

@Alzhy:
Regarding:
> Linux on X86
--and:
> SmartIrons running High Availability Hypervisors
--What version/product(s) is this?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> you mean simply "What are the Pros and Cons of using vPars on a SuperDome2 nPar" right?

No.

The SD2 can do vPars without vPars software, because the vpmon is in firmware and no longer needed in the OS.

If you are familiar with the hardware and first release firmware, you know about the current limitations.

I'm asking this question because you can do vPars on "pure hardware" without vPars software on this platform.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Turgay Cavdar
Honored Contributor

Hi Torsten,

>>The SD2 can do vPars without vPars software, because the vpmon is in firmware and no longer needed in the OS.

Are you sure that SD2 can do vPars without vPars software? What i understand is OS still needs vPar software to boot.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> Are you sure that SD2 can do vPars without vPars software?

Yes.
The vpmon and vpdb are not needed at all.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Torsten

You're correct.. I thought with SD2 you ment the SX2000 based chipset Superdomes (Merced/Montecitos)... So you are referring to the C7000 (PC_like/commoditized) SuperDome...

I woulld still believe the points I made stands. If the vPars layer is now in firmware -- the issues and pros and cons that I mention remain.

Hakuna Matata.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

And to Joseph:

"@Alzhy:
Regarding:
> Linux on X86
--and:
> SmartIrons running High Availability Hypervisors
--What version/product(s) is this?
"

HP: Proliant 4 socket and 8 socket Nehalem or Magny Cour systems. (DL5XX, DL 7XXX and DL9XX Series). Other vendors also have the same offerings. HP also has Blade Proliants that plug in to the same C7000 Enclosure as these Integrity Itaniu servers.

Why I call these new X86-64 based servers Smart Irons? Because they simply are your smartest choices for performance, TCO and RAS these days. If you look at the TPC (www.tpc.org) and various benchmarks - you will notice that ever since the new quad and octo and 12 core CPUs frpm the PC Server arena were launched not too long ago - X86 Servers are now toe to toe with their expensive RISC based UNIX Server cousins. Prior to these SmartIron systems - you would not see any X86 based servers in those benchmarks as most were dominated by Big UNIX.

And with LINUX running things in these SMartIrons and your choice of High Availabilty Virtualization (vSPhere or KVM/RHEV) - your Linux, Solaris, BSD and Windows virtual servers can see very high availability indeed at a fraction of the cost of their UNIX big brothers. Performance wise? Well that's an entirely different topic but you can figure it out yourself...

;^))

Hakuna Matata.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

@Alzhy: Thanks for your comments, but the question is not about vPars in general.

I'm working for more than 10 years now with vpars, since version 1.02. The first systems with vPars I worked with was the Yosemite based first generation superdome and the L3000/N4000.

The SD2 (sx3000 based superdome blade) has all the vpars commands (vparcreate, vparmodify, etc) in OA, the vpdb is also stored on OA, so a vPar in a SD2 is more like a classic nPar than a classic vpar.

So my question is:
What is the benefit to have vPars software installed in a SD2 vPar?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.