1753767 Members
5739 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 1910 Configuration Question

bhaikalis
Occasional Visitor

HP 1910 Configuration Question

So i have a customer who purchased 5 HP 1910 switches (4 24port and 1 8port switch). They currently have a flat network using 192.168.80.x/24 subnet. They are adding voice and wanto to segregate their network using vlans. It's been a while since i've configured HP switches (these are web based GUI's) and i wanted to confirm my config appears correct.

Managment: Vlan1 - 10.10.1.X/28

Data: Vlan10 - 192.168.80.X/24

Voice: Vlan20 - 172.16.80.X

Cisco Router (running BGP) > Core switch > 4 distribution switches > LAN

Using 1 of the 24port 1910's as a Layer 3 Core switch i've configured it the folowing way:

IP: 10.10.1.2

Port 28: SFP Trunk port to the 8port HP 1910 switch connected via Fiber

Port 24: Trunk port to the Cisco Router (should this be a trunk or "Hybrid" port?)

Port 23: Trunk port connected to the 2nd 24port HP1910 switch

Port 22: Trunk port connected to the 3rd 24port HP1910 switch

Port 21: Trunk port connected to the 4th 24port HP1910 switch

Configured Vlan10 with IP 192.168.80.X with IP helper going to a remote site DHCP server

Configured Vlan20 with IP 172.168.80.X with IP helper going to a remote site DHCP server

For the Distribution switches they configured as follows:

2nd: IP 10.10.1.3

3rd: IP 10.10.1.4

4th: IP 10.10.1.5

5th (remote): IP 10.10.1.6

Switches 2-4 are configured identically:

Ports 1-23 are untagged in Vlan1 and 10, tagged in Vlan20 with PVID 1

Port 24 is the uplink port to the core switch configured as a trunk

I've configured the Vlan's on the switch as well but did not assign them IP's (i set to to "DHCP") assuming they would get their IP's from the DHCP server

Switch 5:

Port 1-8 are untagged in Vlan1 and 10, tagged in Vlan20 with PVID 1

Port 9 is the uplink port to the core switch configured as a trunk with a fiber SFP

Thanks for any help!

My question really is will it work the way i think it should? IE if i plug a PC in any of the distribution switches it should grab a Vlan10 IP, likewise if i plug a phone into a port it should grab a Vlan20 IP?

As it stands i can ping the distribution switches from the core and vice versa. I didn't have any way of testing the Vlan's. I'm a little confused as when to use a Trunk port and when to use a Hybrid port as HP's terminology differs from Cisco's.

P.S. this thread has been moved form Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to Web and Unmanaged. - HP Forum Moderator 

1 REPLY 1
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: HP 1910 Configuration Question

"Ports 1-23 are untagged in Vlan1 and 10,"

Wha? UNtagged in two VLANs? How's that going to work? What's VLAN1 for? If you want your hosts on the Data VLAN to to work, you need these ports untagged in VLAN10 with a PVID of 10.

"Port 24 is the uplink port to the core switch configured as a trunk"

You probably want to add each of the VLANs as "tagged" to each of these inter-switch link ports. Opposite to Cisco, I think it defaults to no member VLANs.

"I've configured the Vlan's on the switch as well but did not assign them IP's (i set to to "DHCP") assuming they would get their IP's from the DHCP server"

Why? What do the switches need IPs in each of the VLANs for? You've given each switch an IP in your management VLAN so you can manage it. Remember, they are switches, not routers.

As for your core switch, you mention "trunk ports"-you really need these inter-switch links have all VLANs added as tagged.

You ask about "hybrid" ports - forget this, never use it. This exists in 3COMs presumably as a bodge to help people who have cheap-arsed networks stuffed full of unmanaged switches.

Also, you talk about a trunk port going to the router - not sure what this is for. Why do you need multiple VLANs to your router?