7659 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 1920-48 OUI Limits

Levwinski
Occasional Advisor

HP 1920-48 OUI Limits

Hi,

I'm upgrading some 1910s (which I have been very happy with) to 1920s and cannot add the OUIs I need.

When all 48 ports are added to Auto Voice, I am only able to add 2 OUI entries - the third will throw up an error box "Failed to set OUI address."

The maximum on the switch should be 8 (which in itself is odd, the 1910 allowed 128).

If I start removing ports from Auto Voice, I can add more OUIs. If I add the OUIs I need first, I get an error when I try to configure the ports.

Does anyone know how this allocation works?

5 REPLIES 5
Levwinski
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP 1920-48 OUI Limits

RIPPED OFF!

I put in a support call for this issue and someone remoted in a week later to check it out. They went off for a few days and came back saying this is a product limitation - you can only have TWO ouis if you use 48 ports.

The device states a maximum of EIGHT but that is only if you use 16 of the 48 ports.

The 1910s I was upgrading from allow 256 - so they have ripped out over 99% of this capacity in this "upgrade".

This limitation is not stated in any documentation or sales literature.

I now have several of these which are completely unfit for advertised purposes. Thousands of dollars down the drain.

THIS IS A COMPLETE RIP-OFF AND I AM OUTRAGED.

16again
Respected Contributor

Indeed, on my hp1920-24 test switch, I can only define 8 OUIs.

But I can't imagine that isn't enough.  The intention is to use a mask on OUI, so a single OUI config line matches all phones from a single vendor.  (at least from same serie/production run)

Levwinski
Occasional Advisor

Sorry if i wasn't clear enough in my original post - you can only define 8 IF you only use 16 ports in the voice vlan.

If you use 48 ports, then you can ONLY use 2 OUIs - (as they belated told me, they have 128 ACL resourses assigned for this - 48 Ports * 2 OUI = 96 and leaves no room for an additional OUI). 

I understand the intention, but this limits us to only one brand of wired phone and one brand of base station for wireless phones. Our current mix of equipment requires 5 OUIs.

If I had 24 port switches, I would have been fine (24 * 5 = 120).

We either

1. throw away voip equipment
  2. throw away these switches

Nowhere in the documentation is this limitation mentioned. If we had any opportunity to know this prior to purchase, we would not have done so.

16again
Respected Contributor

Isn't assigning the VoiceVLAN by LLDP a better solution?

yeti195

I'm having this same issue setting up a voice vlan.  If using LLDP is a better solution, could you please maybe explain a little how to set it up uing LLDP? 

Thank you