8102 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP V1910 (3Com 2928) default route problem

sp1der
Occasional Visitor

HP V1910 (3Com 2928) default route problem

Hi all,

i got a strange problem: the default route is not working if the IP of the next hop is the virtual IP of an ISA-Server-2006 NLB-Cluster.

Other switches (we checked with Cisco, linksys, Asus) are working without any problem.

If i type in the IP of another gateway in our network (its not a virtual IP) the 3Com/HP switch is working.

The ISA 2006 Cluster is configured in IGMP multicast mode an the ISA ports are NOT connected to the HP but to a Cisco switch. It's my suggestion that there is a problem with the multicast MAC starting with 01005e, but I'm not sure. I was not able to create a static entry with this multicast MAC, error message was something like MAC not valid.

Any ideas? Thx 4 any help

Stefan

2 REPLIES 2
sp1der
Occasional Visitor

Hi all,

this case just was closed by 3Com/HP Support.

The Switch is noch accepting Unicast IPs with Multicast MAC what you have by installing a Microsoft NLB Cluster. So no one using Microsoft NLB should use this or most other Switches from HP/3Com when the switch is supposed to do the internet routing.

There is no way to disable the arp check or to make a static entry for the Multicast MAC what would be possible solutions.

sp1der

OffColour
Visitor

Old post to reply to, but given the number of views I'm guessing other people are still hunting for a solution to this.

I've got the latest model of the 1910 and it still doesn't support adding an IGMP multicast MAC to the ARP table.

So if you want to do Windows NLB between VLANs, keep away from the 1910.