5878 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP1820 - how to setup QoS?

rds_correia
Occasional Contributor

HP1820 - how to setup QoS?

Hi.

We've bought a couple of HP 1820-24G-PoE+ (J9983A) and both are running PT.01.10.

The quickspecs for these switches says that they are compliant with DSCP or IEEE 802.1p and IEEE 802.11p/Q.

Yet, I have been unable to find where/how to setup the DSCP bits for audio/video [00 to FF (Hex)/0 to 63 (decimal)]. Where can I find such configurations on my switches?

Regards,

Rui

3 REPLIES 3
16again
Respected Contributor

Seems to me the web gui lacks all QoS settings , so the only thing you can do is apply correct markings on  the attached devices and hope for the best.
Example: On VOIP phones, configure RTP settings to use DSCP=EF

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

In the web management page where you set the PVID, the third column lets you assign your layer-2 QoS (.1p) to the untagged VLAN on any port.

The manual says something about "7 is the highest priority, often used for voice and video", which is utter garbage for two reasons:

1 - voice and video should be on 2 different priority values, with voice prioritised over video.

2 - 7 should never be used, it's usually used by internal switch applications and is defined as such by the IETF. If you try to use it you could end up with traffic that is highly prioritised, but some parts of your network have insufficient queue buffer space to be switched.

rds_correia
Occasional Contributor

@Vince-Whirlwind wrote:

In the web management page where you set the PVID, the third column lets you assign your layer-2 QoS (.1p) to the untagged VLAN on any port.

The manual says something about "7 is the highest priority, often used for voice and video", which is utter garbage for two reasons:

1 - voice and video should be on 2 different priority values, with voice prioritised over video.

2 - 7 should never be used, it's usually used by internal switch applications and is defined as such by the IETF. If you try to use it you could end up with traffic that is highly prioritised, but some parts of your network have insufficient queue buffer space to be switched.

But I have ports where the voice vlan is tagged (trunk ports). How can I prioritize voice on those ports?

And if the manual is wrong about so many things, just like you pointed out, doesn't HP acknowledge that? Doesn't HP feel compelled to create a firmware that addresses these issues?

Cheers