1755731 Members
3107 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setup 1810 switches - trunk

lucver7
Occasional Advisor

Each switch has two vlan's. The switches are connected with 1 cat6 cable. I thought trunks were ports that can carry traffic between swiched with different vlan's and that they do this by adding a unique identity tag (802.q or ISL)?

How do I configure this without trunk ports an 1 cable which connects the switches?

Thank you for your help.

Luc

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Well, in HP/HPE jargon the "Link Aggregation" is also known as "Port Trunking"...that is the CISCO EtherChannel. CISCO calls Trunk what is VLAN 802.1Q Tagging...so there is some confusion when we speak about "Trunk"...read, as example, here and here.

When you need to carry more than a VLAN on the same link (no matter which type of link), in HP world, you need to change the VLAN Port Type (of a Physical Port <- like your case OR of a Logical Port <- like the case of a LAG) from "Access Type" to "Trunk Type"...that's the confusion of terms (Trunk/Trunk) IMHO.

In the HP/HPE world there are basically three VLAN Port Types (that you can associate with a Physical/Logical port):

• Access
  • Trunk ----> a VLAN Port Type set to "Trunk" is able to (A) Carry multiple VLANs on a single physical link, (B) tag VLAN(s) with IEEE 802.1Q and (C) leave the native VLAN Untagged <-- Which is what you want.
  • Hybrid

Differences are explained in this document.

So basically you can have an Aggregated Physical Ports uplink (a LAG) <-- it's not your case...or you can have just a Single Physical Port uplink <-- that's your case...OK...both uplinks are able to carry multiple VLAN(s) if their VLAN Port Types are set to "Trunk Type":

• Aggregated Physical Ports uplink (a LAG) -> set (as example) LACP or Static -> go to the BAGG Logical Port and set the VLAN Port Type as "Trunk Type" to assign/permit that link to carry more VLAN(s).
  • Single Physical Port uplink -> set the VLAN Port Type as "Trunk Type" to assign/permit that link to carry more VLAN(s).

It's just a matter of terms.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
lucver7
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the very clear explanation!

So, if i've got 2 vlans, 192.168.1.0/24 (vlan 10) and 192.168.2.0/24 (vlan 20)I have to configure i.e. 2 connected switches as follows:

Both: managemet port 4 on vlan 10 (ip of switches is in the 192.168.1.0/24 range)

SW1: port 1 -4 vlan 10 untagged, 5-8 vlan 20 untagged

SW2: port1  -> T,  port 2-4 vlan10 (all untagged), 5-8 vlan20 (all untagged)

SW3: port 1 -> T, port 2-4 vlan10 (all untagged), 5-8 vlan20 (all untagged)

I connect the SW1 port 1 tot SW2 port1, SW2 port 2 to SW3 port 1

Is this OK?

Luc

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Focusing on the uplinks only I think you should consider to set each uplink port as VLAN Tagged for all VLAN(s) you want be permitted on that uplink and so permitted between that Switches' pair (do that considering your chain of three - or more - Switches and how the VLAN(s) are distributed/used on those ones).

So a scenario could be (here I used the uplinking schema: Switch "N" port 1 to 2 of the next Switch "N+1" in the chain):

Switch 1                   Switch 2                  Switch 3 
port 1 <-- uplink --> port 2 / port 1 <-- uplink --> port 2
| | | |
| | | |
VLAN Tagged X VLAN Tagged X VLAN Tagged X
VLAN Tagged Y VLAN Tagged Y VLAN Tagged Y

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner