1753468 Members
4649 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Simple voice vlan between 1800 & 1810 switches

Chiper1

Simple voice vlan between 1800 & 1810 switches

Gday All,
Trying to setup a vlan between the following switches to run a voip phone system.

1 x 1810-24G (Switch 1)
2 x 1800-24G (Switch 2, Switch 3)

Port Mappings Are As Follows
Switch 1 Port 23 - PhoneSys
Switch 1 Port 24 - Uplink to switch 2

Switch 2 Port 23 - Uplink to switch 1
Switch 2 Port 24 - Uplink to Switch 3

Switch 3 Port 24 - Uplink to Switch 2
Switch 3 port 23 - PhoneSys

PhoneSys -> Switch1 -> Switch2 -> Switch3 -> PhoneSys

I understand the 1810 interface (switch1) i think :) and have set the config as

vlans -> vlan configuration
vlan1 - Default
vlan2 - Phones

vlans -> Participation/Tagging
vlan2 Members
- Ports 23 = Untagged
- Ports 24 = Tagged

I think the above is correct however the 1800 routers (Switches 2 & 3) have a different interface. For example on switch 2 i set

vlans -> vlan setup
vlan1 - Default (As per defaults)
vlan2 - Phones (Members Ports 23 & 24)

vlans -> vlan port config
Port 23=Tagged (pvid 2)
Port 24=Tagged (pvid 2)

however when i enable this i loose connection between switches 1 & 2, havent tested switch 3, didnt want to push my luck!

I suspect this is because the uplink ports become tagged and the workstations are not capable of tagging the packets??

The 1800's only give you the options Packet Type (All, Tagged Only) and PVID. There is no
Participation/Tagging menu or option to exclude.

It seems Switch 2 is really just a bridging switch between 1 and 3 which hold the respective phone systems. Hence why I tag both ports.

Switch 3's config is as follows
vlans -> vlan setup
vlan1 - Default (As per defaults)
vlan2 - Phones (Members Ports 23 & 24)

vlans -> vlan port config
Port 23=Untagged(pvid 2)
Port 24=Tagged (pvid 2)

I have upgraded all switches to there latets respective firmware versions and read through the very brief procurve vlan configuration recommendations but I just seem to be missing something here.

ANY advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Chiper

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to Web and Unmanaged - Hp forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Chiper1

Just in case anyone is wondering why there are no voip handsets the vlan is to interconnect two the voip cards in two phone systems located in seperate buildings. This connection will be used only to transfer calls between buildings :) The handsets present to the phone system as standard phones.

The interconnect between Switch 1 & 2 is a 54MB 802.11A wireless and the interconnect between switches 2 & 3 is standard 1GB ethernet.

DaFresh
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

You only need to tagg vlans on both uplink ports to make them propagate across your switchs.
The only obscure thing is over your Wireless bridge. Try to tag the ports and check if it works too.
Chiper1

Thanks for the reply Drixx but all the ports being tagged are uplink ports.
Foxnolds

In my experience, VLAN tagging is not compatible between 1800 series and the 1810 series switches. You need to supply a separate link cable between a 1800 and a 1810 switch per VLAN (untagged).

You can then propagate a Tagged (LACP) link between your two 1800 switches using a single cable.