Web and Unmanaged
1748275 Members
3964 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

V1910 (3com 2952) Link Aggregation disrupts IRF when more than one port aggregated

rsport7
Occasional Visitor

V1910 (3com 2952) Link Aggregation disrupts IRF when more than one port aggregated

I have two brand new 3com 2952 switches

I configured IRF with the following settings:

Switch 1- Master

Build Stack: Enabled

IP Pool 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

Stack port enabled 1/0/1

Switch 2 - Slave

Build Stack: Disabled

Stack port enabled 1/0/1

This configuration works fine until I then configure Dynamic Link Aggregation like so:

Switch 1

Bridge-Aggregation Group 1 - Ports 3 and 4

Switch 2

Bridge-Aggregation Group 1 - Ports 3 and 4

Once aggregation is configured, aggregation works perfectly however when I go to IRF to view the topology it only now displays the master unit on the Master unit web interface.  When I log into the Slave switch using the vlan ip for access, I go to IRF and shows nothing in the IRF topology and Device summary say IRF not configured.

Heres the real strange thing.  Now if I configure Dynamic Link Aggregation with just a single port in a Bridge Aggregaton Group (on both switches Bridge-Aggregation Group 1 - Port 3 ), all is well and IRF topology comes back and device summary shows both switches from the master switch.

This is driving me up a wall as I cannot figure out why this is happening.  I also have the latest firmware uploaded.  If someone could please direct me as to what I am potentially missing or incorrectly configuring to cause this issue.

2 REPLIES 2
rsport7
Occasional Visitor

Re: V1910 (3com 2952) Link Aggregation disrupts IRF when more than one port aggregated

Also I forgot to add the following info:

No Vlans configured besides the default

Username and password default: admin and password: blank

MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

Re: V1910 (3com 2952) Link Aggregation disrupts IRF when more than one port aggregated

Just for clarification:

There exist two different features:

- simple stacking

- IRF

only stacking is supported on the 3Com 2928/2952 series in my opinion

Release notes of CMW520-R1109:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03065191/c03065191.pdf

user guide:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02965327/c02965327.pdf

So you configured "simple" stacking.

Update: I ´ve just looked at the user guide. Please HP, why did you use the term "IRF" on this one??? This is the "older" stacking features, which has really nothing to do with IRF, as it is implemented on e.g. A5120/A5500/A5800 series.

Although you are mentioning it:

"IMPORTANT:
The HP V1910 IRF stack management feature does not provide the functions of HP Intelligent Resilient
Framework (IRF) technology. To avoid confusion, IRF stack management is simply called stack
management in this document."

simple delete the every existence of the word "IRF" in this document.