Web and Unmanaged
1753781 Members
7534 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VLANs on 1810G-24port supporting multiple vlans per port

Nick Ellermann

VLANs on 1810G-24port supporting multiple vlans per port

I have a new 1810G-24 with latest firmware P.1.17. I also have an existing 1800-24. I want to use the two together for more network redundancy in front of several VMware host servers at our office. Each VMware server has two or more network interfaces going to my 1800-24, moving forward they will have one or more interfaces going to each of the two switches (1810G & 1800G-24) for switch redundancy. On the 1800G, I have each physical port supporting multiple vlans as тАШmembersтАЩ to use their terminology. Five vlans to be specific and the default vlan is 1 on all ports. This is needed because within each VMware host node there are six virtual switches each with a specific VLAN, those virtual switches all connect to all of the hostтАЩs Ethernet interfaces going to the HP switch. So in CiscoтАЩs world we can that a тАШVLAN trunkтАЩ. It only took two minutes to setup the 1800 to work correctly. I have yet to be able to setup the 1810G to handle more than one VLAN per port. What am I missing????

P.S. This thread has been moved from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to Web and Unmanaged. - Hp Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Re: VLANs on 1810G-24port supporting multiple vlans per port

Hi,

What you're trying to achieve should be fairly straight forward. Could you go through the steps that you've taken already and explain which part appears to not work?
Nick Ellermann

I think my mail problem is translating how I have the 1800 switch setup to the 1810G-24. How you setup Vlans is very different in the 1810G. Presently I have vlan 1 as untagged across all 24 ports. Then each of my assigned vlans are tagged across each of the 24 ports. In theroy this should allow tagged traffic to flow through the 1810G, however my concern right now is what about untagged traffic? Will untagged traffic assume vlan 1? I hope so, this is how our 1800 handels the packets and it is our need. The support team helped me set the tagging, but they weren't sure about untagged traffic and how it will be handeled. I'll learn the hard way this evening when I go to implement the switch!

Thanks!
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

That's correct, if you've got VLAN 1 untagged on all your ports then the untagged traffic from your VMWare nodes will flow across VLAN 1.