Re: cannot access switch anymore after changing VLAN

driezzzie

cannot access switch anymore after changing VLAN

I Have a HP Procurve 1810 switch. I divided it in 4 VLAN's:

- VLAN 1 (default VLAN)

- VLAN 2

- VLAN 3

- VLAN 4

I just created the VLAN's to divide my switch into pieces. There is are 4 cables from my router(firewall) to each VLAN.

My first 10 ports were on VLAN1, but I changed them to a new VLAN (5). So there are no ports anymore in VLAN 1 (default VLAN). Now I can not access my swtich anymore.

I changed no Ip-adresses or whatever. Just changed my first 10 ports from VLAN 1 to VLAN 5. What can I do?

P.S. This thread has been moved from ProCurve / ProVision-Based to Web and Unmanaged. - Hp Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

Since the 1810 switches have no console port and CLI, they can be a bit tricky to configure when it comes to VLANs.

The management VLAN is defined under Network Setup -> Get Connected. If this is set to VLAN 1 and you no longer have any ports untagged in VLAN 1 then you will not be able to access the switch and you probably have to reset it to factory defaults.

EricAtHP
Esteemed Contributor

The 1810 can only have one IP address. By default, it is associated with VLAN 1. It is changeable but since you don't have management access anymore, I think your only choice is to reset to factory defaults.

To execute the factory default reset on the switch, perform these steps:
1. Using a small, thin tool with blunt ends (such as a paper clip), simultaneously press both the Reset and Clear buttons on the front of the switch.
2. Continue to press the Clear button while releasing the Reset button.
3. Release the Clear button.
The switch will then complete its self test and begin operating with its configuration restored to the factory default settings.

But keep in mind that all ports will be in VLAN 1 after the reset. The switch IP address will be 192.168.2.10.

By the way, unless you are tagging traffic at some point, there is no need to discontinue the use of VLAN 1.